Is it still not possible to create XLIFF files?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
May 29, 2020

Yesterday, I have installed the latest service pack for Transit NXT: SP 12.

While it is a great thing that STAR hasn't stopped offering us new features constantly, without urging us to pay for new licenses (SDL, are you reading this?), I was wondering:

How long will STAR continu to see XLIFF as a one-way street? In other words: when will we be able to export native Transit projects as XLIFF files?

Thank you for your attention.

Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 09.34.39

[Edited at 2020-05-29 07:43 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans May 29, 2020

Hans Lenting wrote:
How long will STAR continue to see XLIFF as a one-way street? In other words: when will we be able to export native Transit projects as XLIFF files?

What is the format that Transit currently uses for export-and-import round-tripping? Is it a format that you can't handle in your other tools?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
XLIFF May 30, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

What is the format that Transit currently uses for export-and-import round-tripping? Is it a format that you can't handle in your other tools?

Transit can read XLIFF from various sources. But it doesn't export XLIFF itself. Other tools have to deal with Transit's interpretation of XML. Every translation project consists of 2 XML files, that – although they are segmented synchronously – have to be aligned first by the other CAT tool.

Life would just be so much easier (in this regard, at least) when Transit would write XLIFF too.

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
XLIFF thoughts May 30, 2020

I've been asking STAR for years to make XLIFF a file type (Import) rather than a project format (Unpack). It would be so much more logical (like the TTX format, which Transit can import and export).
The problem with Transit's handling of XLIFF is that if you get two or more XLIFFs for the same project, you have to create (Unpack) just as many projects in Transit! A real pain.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
So, why not just use TTX? May 30, 2020

wotswot wrote:
(like the TTX format, which Transit can import and export).

I sometimes do Transit Satellite jobs, and I hated it until I discovered that Transit Satellite exports and imports TTX, and TTX is a perfectly good bilingual format that allows me to apply formatting much quicker by using tags instead of painting.

So, if Transit NXT exports and imports TTX, then why not use that? It's a robust bilingual format. Many CAT tools can read TTX.

ttx images

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Why not ttx? Because... May 30, 2020

Two of my agencies send me xlf files (Déjà Vu), which I then have to import into SDL Trados Studio (which many of my other customers use) then "export" them as ttx via the SDL to Legacy Converter (which is great but requires Studio to be installed) then finally import them into Transit. This adds about 1 minutes to the whole import process, worth it for me. Ditto for the return trip (Transit ttx > SDL to Legacy Converter > Studio > target XLFs).
That's why.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it still not possible to create XLIFF files?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »