Questions about subtitling work
Thread poster: jonathannpereda
jonathannpereda
jonathannpereda
Argentina
May 17, 2016

Hi!
I'm really interested in the subtitling world and right now im studying to be a translator. I have many doubts about this area in particular and i was expecting that you could help me.
1) Is there a software (free or not) that could help me to speed up my work?
2)We only have to make a translation or we need to know how to add the subtitles onto the movie?
3)What's the rates for English to Spanish translation?
4)The clients provides us an original subtitle to wo
... See more
Hi!
I'm really interested in the subtitling world and right now im studying to be a translator. I have many doubts about this area in particular and i was expecting that you could help me.
2)We only have to make a translation or we need to know how to add the subtitles onto the movie?
4)The clients provides us an original subtitle to work on or do we have to start from scratch?

Thank you!
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A few answers May 17, 2016

jonathannpereda wrote:

There is PLENTY of excellent freeware around for subtitling.
However the hidden cost of subtitling is skimpy guidance, no tech support, in other words, you must know what you are doing.
Also, it's not a matter of speeding up your work, but making it possible for you to accomplish some level of quality.
Quite frankly, this depends more on you than the software you use.

This depends on the kind of clients you cater to.
Producers and subtitling studios will want translation work only.
Clients whose core business does not include/involve video will require the whole nine yards, they'll want a finished subtitled video.

Shake a beehive, count how many bees come out of it, and each one will have a different answer to this question.
My advice is, first learn to do it! Second, check how good is your output, compared to what's in the marketplace. Then check how much people charge to do a job about as good as yours.

4)The clients provides us an original subtitle to work on or do we have to start from scratch?

Honestly? Anything may happen. There is no rule for this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions about subtitling work

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »