"Making the price" of your translation services (as opposed to "taking the market price")

This discussion belongs to Translation news » ""Making the price" of your translation services (as opposed to "taking the market price") ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Jaume de Marcos Andreu
Jaume de Marcos Andreu
Испания
Local time: 04:14
английский => испанский
+ ...
Too ambiguous Feb 21, 2011

Well, yes, OK, I think we all can reach the same conclusions. It would be great if those vague principles are restated in a more concrete manner. What do you mean by "value"? Suggest ways to be "different". What does "courageous" imply in a negotiation? And so on.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Уругвай
Local time: 23:14
Член ProZ.com c 2004
немецкий => испанский
+ ...
Maybe ambiguous, but challenging Feb 21, 2011

Dear Jaume,

First of all, thank you for reading the article and commenting on it.

Jaume de Marcos Andreu wrote:
Well, yes, OK, I think we all can reach the same conclusions.

Excuse me if I disagree with you. I see that you are an experienced translator, and maybe that is the reason why you "reach the same conclusions" as I do.

I flagged this article, because I thought important that every translator read it, especially young ones. The article insists upon something that not every translator thinks so clearly: too many freelance translators (especially newbies) think that "they shall take whatever price they are offered".

I agree with you that some suggestions are not concrete enough - but that is yet another positive part of this article (which is very concise): it tells us "dare reinventing yourself, instead of being conformist"; "be ready to take new challenges".

Lorena Vicente
Lorena Vicente  Identity Verified
Аргентина
Local time: 23:14
английский => испанский
+ ...
Have you read the full article? Feb 21, 2011

Jaume de Marcos Andreu wrote:

Well, yes, OK, I think we all can reach the same conclusions. It would be great if those vague principles are restated in a more concrete manner. What do you mean by "value"? Suggest ways to be "different". What does "courageous" imply in a negotiation? And so on.

Dear Jaume,

This is a summary of the article. If you click on "See AIPTI", you´ll find the full version with answers to your questions.

Lorena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Making the price" of your translation services (as opposed to "taking the market price")

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »