Автор темы: Michael Newton
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 01:29
японский => английский
+ ...
Nov 11, 2022

A few days ago I was contacted by a "Linda Sun" who offered me a large Japanese-to-English translation project. The terms were the same old story. Provide a word count and a fee for the total translation and she would send me a cashier's check for the project in advance. Reg flags: "cashier's check", "payment in advance". I said that before I did business with her I needed to know the name of her company, the address, her company's website and what country she was located in. I never heard from ... See more
A few days ago I was contacted by a "Linda Sun" who offered me a large Japanese-to-English translation project. The terms were the same old story. Provide a word count and a fee for the total translation and she would send me a cashier's check for the project in advance. Reg flags: "cashier's check", "payment in advance". I said that before I did business with her I needed to know the name of her company, the address, her company's website and what country she was located in. I never heard from her again. So beware of a "Linda Sun". Maybe some of you have already heard from her.Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kevin Fulton
Dalia Nour

philgoddard
philgoddard
США
немецкий => английский
+ ...
This has been going on for about 25 years... Nov 12, 2022

...and people still fall for it.

SAQIB Zaman
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
английский => индонезийский
IKR Nov 14, 2022

philgoddard wrote:

When will they learn?

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Германия
Local time: 07:29
английский => чешский
+ ...
Since cheques exist...?? Nov 14, 2022

philgoddard wrote:

In fact, even longer! I've read somewhere that it was around already in the preinternet era!

Danielle Henripin
Danielle Henripin
США
Local time: 01:29
английский => французский
Scam avoided! Nov 18, 2022

Thanks to those of you who shared information about a certain alleged scammer, still using the same name and email address, btw. I'm new to ProZ and I guess scammers look for newbies. But the phrase 'cashier's check' gave this person away, so I came here to look for info - suspicions confirmed! Does anyone have experience using the ProZ payment tools?

Nica Wooters
Nica Wooters
США
Local time: 22:29
Член ProZ.com c 2022
испанский => английский
+ ...
FYI Nov 18, 2022

I was just tapped by Linda Sun as well. Glad I checked here first. I am newish to the freelance world and got a little excited at the prospect of being sought out.

I will follow your lead Michael and ask for a company name, address, website and country. Thanks for helping us newbies see the scams coming. Really appreciated!

Serhan Elmacıoğlu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Linda Sun' scam

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »