Испания
Local time: 13:50
Член ProZ.com
английский
+ ...
The Russians are Coming :-) Oct 17, 2003

[quote]Danya recommended:

Bulgakov\'s \"Master and Margarita\"....quote]

I heartily second this recommendation. I have read it (in English, I\'m afraid) and seen two excellent stage adaptations and agree that it is a masterpiece.

Bulgakov\'s \"Black Snow\" may not get to the same level, as literature, but it is a real satiric hoot - especially for anyone who ever had to study Stanislavski.

On the subject of Russian Literature I would also recommend \"The Suicide\" a hilarious play by Nikolai Erdman that was banned in the USSR for decades. The scene where a neighbour argues communist justification for peeping through a keyhole at his female neighbour undressing is priceless. \"Ah, yes.... But when I look at her through the communist perspective....\"

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Испания
Local time: 13:50
Член ProZ.com c 2003
испанский => английский
+ ...
My tallies Apr 17, 2004

Read: 21
Not finish: 5
Saw movie but didn't read book: 1

Among the ones I did not finish was "On the Road", even though it was really thin. Couldn't stand it.

I have read Huckleberry Finn and Catch-22 several times.

There were several one the list that I haven't read that I would like to, if I ever have time between translations.

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Лаос
Член ProZ.com
испанский => английский
+ ...
Pilgrim´s Progress Aug 14, 2004

I guess considering its historical importance and impact, I can imagine it being included in the list. But #2? I thought the book was crap: static characters with static themes that describe a topic in a played out way. I don´t see it as a book for "all ages." Maybe I missed something.

I couldn´t even find Will Shakespeare in the whole list but The Pilgrim´s Progress is #2? Gimme a break.

David

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The 100 greatest novels of all time

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »