Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51] >
New at ProZ.com: Outsourcer "willingness to work again" feedback for translators
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:00
English to French
Comments... Jul 2, 2006

I would like to give a vote of confidence to Proz in general and to Henri in particular.

Running a website is no easy task, not to mention one with a large community like Proz. This issue could have been introduced better - would have avoided a lot of upset if an email was send before the feature was turned on - but as it stands, I guess it's about fine, since every one can choose to participate or not.

About outsourcers keeping notes: Outsourcers always keeps notes
... See more
I would like to give a vote of confidence to Proz in general and to Henri in particular.

Running a website is no easy task, not to mention one with a large community like Proz. This issue could have been introduced better - would have avoided a lot of upset if an email was send before the feature was turned on - but as it stands, I guess it's about fine, since every one can choose to participate or not.

About outsourcers keeping notes: Outsourcers always keeps notes of the people they work with, or at least they should. Not to do so would be most unprofessional, in my opinion. The question is more "where" than "if" they keep these notes.

I have no objection if they use Proz.com servers for that purpose - it doesn't concern us really. Proz is a possibility, but actually outsourcers could just as well use any other ISP/host to store these data, and many of them do already - and a LOT more data too.

If Proz choose to give storage space to outsourcers, it would make sense to gather all those data on the *outsourcer's* profile (owner view, obviously), and turn profiles into some kind of workstation for the benefit of the profile owner.

Better yet, allow some pages of the profiles to be shared with a restricted group of people - meaning 3 levels: Public view, group view and owner view.

* Public view = marketing copy for visitors
* Group/project view = selected informations available only to the members of a predefined group (a poor man's intranet)
* Owner view = profile admin with full access to everything

Giving someone (outsourcer for instance) the right to display things in somebody else's profile is a different issue altogether. In my opinion, the profil owner must have the right to control whatever goes on his profile.

Having the possibility to display clients' feedback is interesting. I am not sure I will use this feature because few of my customers are from Proz anyway. Maybe I will turn it on nevertheless to allow colleagues and Proz outsourcers to drop a note.

The way it stands right now works for me (profile owner remains in control of his profile) and I feel that Proz (and Henri) are actually trying to provide more services and more value to members.
Collapse

HarryHedgehog
HarryHedgehog
Germany
Local time: 07:00
German to English
Aha - another layer of the onion peeled away Jul 2, 2006

Henry wrote:
Yes, the feature was developed with top translators in mind.

Henry wrote:
Outsourcers are part of our community.

Thank you, Henry, for these insights into your rationale for implementing the WWA function at Proz.com: you wish to have an additional level of vetting/quality control for the participating translators, as an extra service to the outsourcers who are part of "our" community. Even with the dozens of volunteers who help run this site, ProZ.com obviously doesn't have the resources to test and vet every single translator who claims to be an expert in underwater basket-weaving and have x years of experience, so you want the outsourcers to do it for you. You will collect and consolidate this data, ostensibly to make it easier for outsourcers to find quality (perhaps in the hope of implementing a commission system for job postings in the near future?)...

Well, judging from my experience on eBay, I can only say that I hope you've given this a great deal of thought, because every single feedback will have to be carefully screened and researched (i.e. to prove that work was actually performed, and not just a figment of someone's imagination). Otherwise the potential for manipulation - especially with positive feedback - is just too great.

From the posts I've read, it looks like a major concern is the possibility of receiving unjustified negative feedback, without any control mechanisms. But what if 20 or 30 people who all work for the same agency in Walla Walla, Galway, Bangalore or Beijing decide to get together and have a positive feedback orgy? Or somebody just gets all his/her friends to submit positive feedback? Or sets up multiple accounts simply for the purpose of providing feedback? After all, a ProZ user name and password is all that is required to submit feedback, and are available free of charge... The invitation to submit feedback itself says

If you are not registered with ProZ.com, and you are willing to enter feedback in my profile, you just need to select a username and password to register with ProZ.com. It does not cost anything to do so.

In all cases, the fraudsters would be able to present a much more favorable image of themselves to potential customers than they deserve. Has anybody thought about this? Because I've seen hundreds and hundreds of examples of this on eBay, where none of the feedback given is ever examined by human eyes unless somebody complains...

So in addition to the privacy and other issues raised by my esteemed colleagues, I hope you consider the potential for abuse this ill-conceived function offers, and especially the possibility that ProZ' reputation might suffer as a result - this time with the outsourcers, and not just with the members who obviously feel something has been slipped past them.

Regards,
HH

[Edited at 2006-07-02 11:13]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 01:00
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, sylver Jul 2, 2006

sylver wrote:

Thank you very much.
If Proz choose to give storage space to outsourcers, it would make sense to gather all those data on the *outsourcer's* profile (owner view, obviously), and turn profiles into some kind of workstation for the benefit of the profile owner.

Better yet, allow some pages of the profiles to be shared with a restricted group of people - meaning 3 levels: Public view, group view and owner view.

* Group/project view = selected informations available only to the members of a predefined group (a poor man's intranet)

Excellent formulation. Logically, what we are doing is exactly that. You have outlined it it in much better way.
Giving someone (outsourcer for instance) the right to display things in somebody else's profile is a different issue altogether. In my opinion, the profil owner must have the right to control whatever goes on his profile.

You're absolutely right. It was a mistake to design it in the way we did initially (my miss), with the profile being the focal point.
Having the possibility to display clients' feedback is interesting. I am not sure I will use this feature because few of my customers are from Proz anyway. Maybe I will turn it on nevertheless to allow colleagues and Proz outsourcers to drop a note.

The way it stands right now works for me (profile owner remains in control of his profile) and I feel that Proz (and Henri) are actually trying to provide more services and more value to members.

Thank you for posting, sylver.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
To HarryHedgehog Jul 2, 2006

HarryHedgehog wrote:
Henry wrote:
Yes, the feature was developed with top translators in mind.

Henry wrote:
Outsourcers are part of our community.

Thank you, Henry, for these insights into your rationale for implementing the WWA function at Proz.com: you wish to have an additional level of vetting/quality control for the participating translators, as an extra service to the outsourcers who are part of "our" community. Even with the dozens of volunteers who help run this site, ProZ.com obviously doesn't have the resources to test and vet everyone single translator who claims to be an expert in underwater basket-weaving and have x years of experience, so you want the outsourcers to do it for you.

An interesting thought, but wrong. Your conclusion stems, I suppose, from a position of distrust and a misunderstanding of our business model. We don't need anyone to "test and vet" translators for us, because we don't offer translation services. (And if that was the motivation, the system would probably look different - I suppose we would be interested in obtaining more practical information, such as productivity, etc.)
You will collect and consolidate this data, ostensibly to make it easier for outsourcers to find quality (perhaps in the hope of implementing a commission system for job postings in the near future?)...

If you have been reading the posts in which I discuss our approach and motivations, and still postulate that something other than what I wrote is our main motivation in this case, I suppose there is nothing I can say to you that will change your mind!

HarryHedgehog
HarryHedgehog
Germany
German to English
Dear Henry, Jul 2, 2006

Henry wrote:
We don't need anyone to "test and vet" translators for us, because we don't offer translation services.

You don't offer translation services per se, but you must agree that the only difference between the ProZ job board and a true "translation marketplace" is the fact that you do not (yet) charge brokerage commissions for the posted jobs. In fact, I suggest that you impose a blanket 2-3% commission for jobs posted on the job board, which would bring $1-1.5 million into the ProZ kitty (according to your own figures). Non-member outsourcers currently get the most benefit from this site with zero contribution. In exchange, perhaps you could reduce membership fees by 5-10%, particularly for your European customers, who currently pay a 25% currency penalty for living on the wrong continent.

Henry wrote:
If you have been reading the posts in which I discuss our approach and motivations, and still postulate that something other than what I wrote is our main motivation in this case, I suppose there is nothing I can say to you that will change your mind!

Well, for starters, you could address the quality assurance issues with the feedback system that I mentioned in my previous post. If you have a concept in place for dealing with such abuse, that would go a long way towards changing my mind.

Yours,
HH

[Edited at 2006-07-02 11:33]

Mayte Vega
Mayte Vega  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
100% agree Jul 2, 2006

sylver wrote:

About outsourcers keeping notes: Outsourcers always keeps notes of the people they work with, or at least they should. Not to do so would be most unprofessional, in my opinion. The question is more "where" than "if" they keep these notes.

I have no objection if they use Proz.com servers for that purpose - it doesn't concern us really. Proz is a possibility, but actually outsourcers could just as well use any other ISP/host to store these data, and many of them do already - and a LOT more data too.

Thank you!

You spoke my words and feelings!!

Best regards to all!!

Mayte

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:00
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Thank you, Henry Jul 2, 2006

Henry wrote:

It was a mistake to design it in the way we did initially (my miss), with the profile being the focal point.

With this change you have addressed one of my main concerns. (My other main concern is the issue of unmerited negative feedback.)

A question - will I be able to opt in to receive and display feedback and still not have the feedback on my profile?

[Edited at 2006-07-02 18:33]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Yes, Michele Jul 2, 2006

Michele Fauble wrote:
Henry wrote:
It was a mistake to design it in the way we did initially (my miss), with the profile being the focal point.

With this change you have addressed one of my main concerns. (My other main concern is the issue of unmerited negative feedback.)

A question - will I be able to opt in to receive and display feedback and still not have the feedback on my profile?

Yes, that is one of the options we will offer. I will recommend this option to those who have not yet made up their mind about whether or not WWA will be useful to them.

Eva T
Eva T
English to Albanian
+ ...
Oh MY...! Jul 2, 2006

I wrote some 37 pages ago and I did not follow it anymore. I am not crazy enough to dig and read through all these pages, but I will say my opinion of it.

Recently, myself and my partner started our own interpretation company. So far we only handle a few Balkan languages. As a company, we had our first bad experience last week. We hired a local interpreter (who was recommended to us by another interpreter) and the client told us that they were so unhappy with her. If we had a Board
... See more
I wrote some 37 pages ago and I did not follow it anymore. I am not crazy enough to dig and read through all these pages, but I will say my opinion of it.

Recently, myself and my partner started our own interpretation company. So far we only handle a few Balkan languages. As a company, we had our first bad experience last week. We hired a local interpreter (who was recommended to us by another interpreter) and the client told us that they were so unhappy with her. If we had a Board on translators/interpreters, we probably would not have to go through what we did (the client threatened to sue us (!!!!), forget the payment we did not get and the time involved on this situation).

However, I do not want to get bombarded with emails from hundreds of translators/interpreters who would want their WWA feedback within the same time. I would suggest ProZ to act as a regulator, meaning, for example, only 10 -15 (or so) requests per week (via Proz) sent to a certain company. For now our company is still small and new in the business, but we hope to grow and I see this as a potential problem.

Thnx,
Eva

p.s. On a total different subject, can I register my company with Proz, even though I have a personal profile? If I can, would it be possible to not have a connection between my personal profile as a translator and my interpretation company?

[Edited at 2006-07-02 22:07]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks for hanging in there, folks... Jul 3, 2006

Thanks for hanging in and being patient in this thread. I know that for many of you, my "series" of posts did not offer a lot of new information. For others, who do not know us or me as well, I hope that the "series" has so far provided some insight into our goals at ProZ.com and how we approach the challenge of offering choice to diverse segments in an interconnected community.

With that, I'll get on to some specifics for WWA.

Cristóbal del Río Faura
Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Compromise Jul 3, 2006

Hi Henry,

I understand the situation and your need to find a compromise between the four groups.

I am very sceptical as regards the usefulness and reliability of any translator feedback feature, but with you one never knows... you created a great site and you may well create a great feedback feature. So, I am still a fierce out-outer, but also I wait and see.

Kind regards,
Cristobal

Pablo Grosschmid
Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
eagerly waiting, ... Jul 3, 2006

Maybe the root of the present problem is that the term "outsourcer" is a sort of euphemism.
It is a heterogeneous group made up of translation agencies (with certain subgroups), companies offering to corporations different value-added services that include translations (e.g., website design, publishing), freelance translators (like myself) who occasionally need the help of colleagues, and the much neglected group of "translation consumers", i.e. direct clients.

Each type of o
... See more
Maybe the root of the present problem is that the term "outsourcer" is a sort of euphemism.
It is a heterogeneous group made up of translation agencies (with certain subgroups), companies offering to corporations different value-added services that include translations (e.g., website design, publishing), freelance translators (like myself) who occasionally need the help of colleagues, and the much neglected group of "translation consumers", i.e. direct clients.

Each type of outsourcer has a different business model, expectations and needs, and all this has a bearing on its relations with peers and with the rest of the community.

Some splitting and differentiation of "outsourcers" in ProZ may help in the design and implementation of future features.

Just an idle Monday-morning thought .....

Eagerly waiting Henry´s last posts !

Pablo
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Excellent point, Pablo Jul 3, 2006

Pablo Grosschmid wrote:

Each type of outsourcer has a different business model, expectations and needs, and all this has a bearing on its relations with peers and with the rest of the community.

Some splitting and differentiation of "outsourcers" in ProZ may help in the design and implementation of future features.

Great point, Pablo.

As I mentioned a few pages ago, I'll finish this series today.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Last-minute suggestion Jul 3, 2006

If I have understood Henry's intentions clearly, the objective of having an "outsourcer willingness to work again" feedback option was, more or less, to filter "real prozians" (that is, "real professionals" doing serious/honest work in the translation/interpretation, etc. field) from "non-real prozians" (profession "intruders").

It sounds to me like a reasonable idea, especially considering the increasing number of registered users (paying/non-paying) of Proz.com.

So, w
... See more
If I have understood Henry's intentions clearly, the objective of having an "outsourcer willingness to work again" feedback option was, more or less, to filter "real prozians" (that is, "real professionals" doing serious/honest work in the translation/interpretation, etc. field) from "non-real prozians" (profession "intruders").

It sounds to me like a reasonable idea, especially considering the increasing number of registered users (paying/non-paying) of Proz.com.

So, why not create a "less intimidating-sounding" (and fully optional) profile option? Something like "professional references"?

For example, let's suppose that in their profile prozians were allowed to supply at least one "professional reference", which could then be verified by Proz.com, just like prozians are ID verified.

If a prozian wanted to add more references to this "Professional references" option, she/he would be free to add them and have each of them verified by Proz.com.

So, in the profile you would see something like "Number of verified professional references: 1" (or whatever number).

Of course, this would contribute to create more "serious-looking" profiles, but it would still not solve the problem (unless it were mandatory) of "filtering intruders" (and I am assuming that prozians are mostly concerned about non-professionals adding competition to the job bids offered by Proz.com).

Just another idea for this Guinness record session/thread of brainstorming...
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Ivette Jul 3, 2006

Ivette Camargo López wrote:

No, that is not the intent. You have to bear in mind that lots of good translators won't use this, out of reasons of preference, confidentiality, etc. This is not to filter the good from the bad, but to provide a powerful marketing tool to those who wish to use it.
So, why not create a "less intimidating-sounding" (and fully optional) profile option? Something like "professional references"?

For example, let's suppose that in their profile prozians were allowed to supply at least one "professional reference", which could then be verified by Proz.com, just like prozians are ID verified.

If a prozian wanted to add more references to this "Professional references" option, she/he would be free to add them and have each of them verified by Proz.com.

So, in the profile you would see something like "Number of verified professional references: 1" (or whatever number).

Thank you. That is one of the services we have considered, but I think of that as something distinct.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New at ProZ.com: Outsourcer "willingness to work again" feedback for translators

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »