Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51] >
New at ProZ.com: Outsourcer "willingness to work again" feedback for translators
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 04:15
English to French
+ ...
Different messages here... Jun 28, 2006

justin wrote:

Also, I believe the site is still collecting personal information of the members who actually have turned off the feature. Am I correct?

No, this is not correct.

Best,
Justin

Here's what Henry says if you'll just scroll up the same page:

"It is not possible to opt out of receiving feedback... This means that you might receive feedback from clients, but you will be the only one who sees it."

So... which is it? Is feedback not coming in at all when we opt out, or is it just not displayed to visitors? Major difference!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:15
SITE FOUNDER
No discrepancy, sarahl Jun 28, 2006

sarahl wrote:

justin wrote:

Also, I believe the site is still collecting personal information of the members who actually have turned off the feature. Am I correct?

No, this is not correct.

Best,
Justin

Here's what Henry says if you'll just scroll up the same page:

"It is not possible to opt out of receiving feedback... This means that you might receive feedback from clients, but you will be the only one who sees it."

So... which is it? Is feedback not coming in at all when we opt out, or is it just not displayed to visitors? Major difference!

Both statements are true. We have not (yet) provided a means for you to prevent others from making WWA entries concerning you. On the other hand, in response to the "I want full control over my profile" preference of the members posting here, we agreed that when you opt out of showing WWA entries in your profile, no trace of WWA would remain... so the link for making WWA entries was removed, too. As per Sormane and my exchange earlier in this thread, since we had removed this option from the profile, we would offer it somewhere else on the site.

That other place, which will be public, does not yet exist.

So to summarize, although you can't prevent others from making entries, they also can't make them.

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Is this the final solution? Jun 28, 2006

Henry wrote:

As per Sormane and my exchange earlier in this thread, since we had removed this option from the profile, we would offer it somewhere else on the site.

So to summarize, although you can't prevent others from making entries, they also can't make them.

For the time being, no data is being collected on those who have not opted in to the feature. Okay.

Now is what you're saying that there will be a means to collect data on all members, including those who have not opted in, through a public interface to be produced in the future?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
No, that is not it. Jun 28, 2006

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D. wrote:

Henry wrote:

As per Sormane and my exchange earlier in this thread, since we had removed this option from the profile, we would offer it somewhere else on the site.

For the time being, no data is being collected on those who have not opted in to the feature. Okay.

Now is what you're saying that there will be a means to collect data on all members, including those who have not opted in, through a public interface to be produced in the future?

Right. But just wait, that is not the proposal I have been preparing.

I am processing the thread and 'll want some feedback from you all first....

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let s cool down and wait for Henry s proposal Jun 28, 2006

Lawyers, lawsuits......Hello?!

Can t we just wait a little bit?

Alicia

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Requesting feedback from the out/out camp. Your thoughts, please! Jun 28, 2006

We have prepared what we think may be a solution that would satisfy also the third camp, the out/out crowd, ie. those who also want a way to opt out of *receiving* WWA entries from others.

Before I propose the solution, I want to make sure that we are on the right track. Hopefully, I can get some feedback from you all.

I have reviewed this thread carefully. Though it may have been considered sooner, the request for a means of opting out of receiving WWA entries came to
... See more
We have prepared what we think may be a solution that would satisfy also the third camp, the out/out crowd, ie. those who also want a way to opt out of *receiving* WWA entries from others.

Before I propose the solution, I want to make sure that we are on the right track. Hopefully, I can get some feedback from you all.

I have reviewed this thread carefully. Though it may have been considered sooner, the request for a means of opting out of receiving WWA entries came to the forefront only on page 18. The issue of profile control (of the first 17 pages) having been addressed, I believe this is the only major request remaining relating to the new WWA system.

A good number of those posting (71 people in all) are in the out/out camp. Among them are at least Terry, Stefane, Luis, MichaelRS, Dominique, Heike, Larissa, Dyran, Cristobal, Giovanni, Maya and JLBaker (this list is roughly in the order you have joined this thread).

I consider you twelve the representatives of the out/out camp, which is undoubtedly much larger than twelve. By participating in this thread, you speak on behalf of a much larger group. Thank you for your hard work in hanging in this thread this long, for reading this far, and for your interest in making sure ProZ.com is everything it should be.

As you can see, I thought initially that the option to show or not show WWA entries would be enough to satisfy the community's needs. Clearly, I was wrong. It is now evident that an adjustment must be made to this system to maintain the harmony in our community.

In the interest of making the proper adjustments, I would like to better understand your need to opt out/out. I hope you will assist in this respect.

I have gone through all the posts from you, the out/out team, and these are these reasons I see so far:

1. You are concerned about privacy / security / libel.
2. You do not want your relationship with you clients to be affected in any way by a new ProZ.com feature.

I consider these two arguments valid. What I would like to know is, are these the main reasons? Are there other specific reasons why you need to be able to prevent others from making WWA entries that only you should see?

Or, is it not so much either of the above, but rather an issue of principles? Do you simply not buy into the WWA approach? Or is it simply that you don't want to be bothered with unsolicitied feedback?

Now, obviously many other points were raised in this thread, and many other complaints were made regarding the new system. But what I hope we can address specifically right now is the need to opt out of receiving WWA entries. I hope those who would like to discuss other issues can simply stand by for now.

I hope to hear from as many of you in the out/out camp as possible. Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Pablo Grosschmid
Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
fourth camp, nr.2 Jun 28, 2006

no, Henry, not the same as PH, sorry if I was not clear:

Just one database, searchable by different criteria (as the directories), automatically populated by the Testimonials given directly by oursourcers and colleagues to a member at his/her request and voluntarily entered by that member in his/her profile (only the member in question should be able to enter, modify or delete any of those testimonials).

Good for members who may believe it is a useful marketing tool,
... See more

Just one database, searchable by different criteria (as the directories), automatically populated by the Testimonials given directly by oursourcers and colleagues to a member at his/her request and voluntarily entered by that member in his/her profile (only the member in question should be able to enter, modify or delete any of those testimonials).

Good for members who may believe it is a useful marketing tool, good for oursourcers who may believe it is useful to consult, AND no legal hassle, data protection worries, or responsibility for ProZ or anyone else.

The currently proposed Feedback feature would eventually boil down to the same final result (since one negative entry would lead to opt-out), but poses many difficult questions, as we see.

Best thoughts,

Pablo
Collapse

Pablo Grosschmid
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
answer to Henry´s direct question Jun 28, 2006

vote for out/out option

Edited: vote for giving the out/out option

[Edited at 2006-06-28 21:38]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
That is what the project histories feature offers. Jun 28, 2006

Pablo Grosschmid wrote:

That is basically what we have with project histories... so I must be missing your point. But let's not dwell on that - I hope to get feedback from those who want to opt out of receiving feedback.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, but why? Jun 28, 2006

Pablo Grosschmid wrote:

vote for out/out option

Thanks again, Pablo, I'll count you among the (now 13) out/out-ers...

but what I really want to know now is the "why?" of your choice.

Pablo Grosschmid
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
why? Jun 28, 2006

if someone does not want to have displayed unsolicited data on him/her entered by others, it stand to reason that she/he will not like to allow that such data be entered at all in any system, since it will have no purpose, just take up storage space in some harddisk, with the risks of getting somehow out, being stolen, disclosed or misused.

Pablo Grosschmid
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
on PH vs. 4th camp Jun 28, 2006

Henry, maybe I am unaware of PH capabilities, since I did not use it as far.

Is there a way of consulting all ProZ-PH entries in one search, and by different criteria?

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 04:15
English to French
+ ...
Count me in (or rather out/out) too! Jun 28, 2006

Henry,

My proz profile is my business card of sorts. Hence:

1. No one but me enters information
2. It's all about me, none of my clients/projects
are listed, and I would like to keep it that way.
3. I want to keep it professional. No chit-chat, no proofs of popularity, nothing of the sort.

Confidentiality is also an issue. Most of my jobs are sensitive. I seldom have to sign an NDA but the need for confidentiality is patent.

I
... See more
Henry,

3. I want to keep it professional. No chit-chat, no proofs of popularity, nothing of the sort.

Confidentiality is also an issue. Most of my jobs are sensitive. I seldom have to sign an NDA but the need for confidentiality is patent.

I also value my relationships with my customers, current and prospective. Those are professional relationships that happen on a one-on-one basis; our dealings are not exposed for the world to see.

Sarah

[Edited at 2006-06-28 21:21]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Have you misunderstood the question - or am I missing something, sarahl? Jun 28, 2006

sarahl wrote:

Henry,

I also value my relationships with my customers, current and prospective. Those are professional relationships that happen on a one-on-one basis; our dealings are not exposed for the world to see.

sarahl,

Thanks, but...

All of the above points, as far as I can understand, are related to the display of WWA entries, and none to the receipt of them. What I want to know is why you require that we prevent outsourcers from making WWA entries concerning you, given that, in principle, only you will see them.

As for your profile concerns, it has already been decided that on this point, you will retain full control over your profile.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New at ProZ.com: Outsourcer "willingness to work again" feedback for translators

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »