Thread poster: Lucie Genot
Ernesto Bernal Arencibia
Ernesto Bernal Arencibia  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:17
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
Same here Aug 22, 2023

I received the same email and notes. Definitely smells like a scam to me.

Jérôme Lanquetin
Caroline DEWALQUE
María Martín Medina
Mark Possemiers

María Martín Medina
María Martín Medina  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Received same messages Sep 5, 2023

Hi, I have received similar e-mails. I got one today that is specially suspicious, smells like a scam indeed.

Captura de pantalla 2023-09-05 135411

[Editado a las 2023-09-05 12:55 GMT]

Frederic Audebrand
Frederic Audebrand  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
be aware of Phillip Fleischer Sep 5, 2023

I recevived a long email from this guy, here is a summary:

Each day, two new articles are published on Listverse, and we need to
translate each of them. This means that you could potentially translate
up to 28,000 words per week, but there's no obligation that you have to
translate that much. You will have a weekly deadline based on the prior
weekly output estimate you provide us.

So far nothing bad but you need to invest in a software that they
... See more
I recevived a long email from this guy, here is a summary:

Each day, two new articles are published on Listverse, and we need to
translate each of them. This means that you could potentially translate
up to 28,000 words per week, but there's no obligation that you have to
translate that much. You will have a weekly deadline based on the prior
weekly output estimate you provide us.

So far nothing bad but you need to invest in a software that they will you some.
I wouldn't say this point is necessarily a scam because as translators we invest in CAT software or better writing software, so it could be legit.

But by checking the small letters, first his email address is [email protected] and he saying that the articles to translate are from Listverse, just a small letter at the end but it makes a big difference.

Then all these small things added together make me think it is a scam, I am actually going to send an email to Listverse to see if they sent that email as Listverse seems to be a legit website.

Be aware of him
Collapse

Patricia García González

Patricia García González
Patricia García González
Italy
Member (2013)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Scammer Phillip Fleischer Sep 5, 2023

This is the complete e-mail I have just received. I copy-paste it, like they are doing, because many people are receiving this cold email.

Just to ignore, looks weird...

Hello,

I hope this email finds you well.

My name is Phillip Fleischer, and I'm the project manager for a series of Listverse articles that need to be translated. I'm writing to you today to invite you to participate in this project.

Each day,
... See more
This is the complete e-mail I have just received. I copy-paste it, like they are doing, because many people are receiving this cold email.

Just to ignore, looks weird...

Hello,

My name is Phillip Fleischer, and I'm the project manager for a series of Listverse articles that need to be translated. I'm writing to you today to invite you to participate in this project.

Each day, two new articles are published on Listverse, and we need to translate each of them. This means that you could potentially translate up to 28,000 words per week, but there's no obligation that you have to translate that much. You will have a weekly deadline based on the prior weekly output estimate you provide us.

Listverse website: https://listverse.com/
2 Listverse articles published today are-
https://listverse.com/2023/09/05/ten-frightening-facts-about-fentanyl/
https://listverse.com/2023/09/05/10-unusual-art-installations-that-prove-art-is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder/

The target audience for these articles is respective speakers in Europe, so the translations should be clear and concise. We would also like the translations to be consistent with the tone and style of the original articles. You have to submit the translated articles into digital marketing software which will send the articles to the targeted audiences.

We're providing training on how to use the marketing software, which will take approximately one hour. We will pay you for this training time too as per your hourly rate.

If you're interested in this project, please let us know your rate per word, the number of words you'd like to translate per week, and your estimated weekly bill. You can also include any other information that you think would be relevant to the project.

Please note that the purpose of the project is to promote Listverse website to specific audience in Europe who speak the targeted language. The digital marketing software is used to send the translated articles to those targeted audience, so you will need to get the software for this job. We will send you the amount in advance to your bank account that is required to purchase the digital marketing software.
Also, if you choose to work with us on a regular basis, we will send you the first week payment in advance to your bank account.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Phillip Fleischer.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

--
Phillip Fleischer
CEO
Listverse

[Editado a las 2023-09-05 13:40 GMT]
Collapse

Aymen Ben Ajmia
Aymen Ben Ajmia  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:17
English to French
+ ...
SCAM Phillip Fleischer <[email protected]> Sep 11, 2023

Hi, everyone, hopefully I read this topic and realised that it's a scammer … of course.
Actually, this one is well done and I nearly get scammed. I sure that he ask your RIB to send you a large amount (that will be rejected by the bank two weeks after) to buy the software and then take the money.

Here is the e-mail:

Hello,

My name is Phillip Fleischer, and I'm the project manager for a series of Listv
... See more
Hi, everyone, hopefully I read this topic and realised that it's a scammer … of course.
Actually, this one is well done and I nearly get scammed. I sure that he ask your RIB to send you a large amount (that will be rejected by the bank two weeks after) to buy the software and then take the money.

Here is the e-mail:

Hello,

Each day, two new articles are published on Listverse, and we need to translate each of them. This means that you could potentially translate up to 28,000 words per week, but there's no obligation that you have to translate that much. You will have a weekly deadline based on the prior weekly output estimate you provide us.

Listverse website: https://listverse.com/
2 Listverse articles published today are- https://listverse.com/2023/09/05/ten-frightening-facts-about-fentanyl/
https://listverse.com/2023/09/05/10-unusual-art-installations-that-prove-art-is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder/

The target audience for these articles is respective speakers in Europe, so the translations should be clear and concise. We would also like the translations to be consistent with the tone and style of the original articles. You have to submit the translated articles into digital marketing software which will send the articles to the targeted audiences.

We're providing training on how to use the marketing software, which will take approximately one hour. We will pay you for this training time too as per your hourly rate.

If you're interested in this project, please let us know your rate per word, the number of words you'd like to translate per week, and your estimated weekly bill. You can also include any other information that you think would be relevant to the project.

Please note that the purpose of the project is to promote Listverse website to specific audience in Europe who speak the targeted language.
The digital marketing software is used to send the translated articles to those targeted audience, so you will need to get the software for this job. We will send you the amount in advance to your bank account that is required to purchase the digital marketing software.
Also, if you choose to work with us on a regular basis, we will send you the first week payment in advance to your bank account.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Phillip Fleischer.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

--
Phillip Fleischer
CEO
Listverse

Be carefull everyone!

Aymen,
Collapse

Uwe Klaos
Uwe Klaos
Philippines
Local time: 06:17
Member (2023)
German
+ ...
Listverse-Scam Sep 12, 2023

Same to me.
Nice try, Mr. Fleischer, but we Proz.com - user are not that stupid

[Bearbeitet am 2023-09-12 11:38 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2023-09-12 12:01 GMT]

Mark Somers
Mark Somers
Belgium
Local time: 00:17
Member (2017)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Phillip Fleischer - lots of money Sep 14, 2023

I received the same message from this guy, and a promise that he'll send me €2365 in advance.
Now that would be nice, though rather unlikely.

Obviously I'm not buying his software until the money hits my bank account, which it never will.
It was interesting to see how he goes about it though, it wasn't clear to me at first, but now it is.

[Edited at 2023-09-14 09:04 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fishy Email | Scam under Adecco's name

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »