Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:03
German to English
+ ...
May 21

Would anyone be interested?

It's not far from Frankfurt.

Seems like a good central location. Just a thought.

It's been a while.

Hans Lenting

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:03
English to Turkish
You can count me out! May 21

So you've decided to insult the native Americans by offensively misappropriating a term that has great cultural significance for them... Shame on you sir! You can count me out. I won't be a part of this cultural genocide. The Germans won't give me a visa anyway, so I'm safe.. and my conscious is clear.

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Baran May 21

I've no idea where you're coming from.

Which term are you referring to?

Please excuse any ignorance on my part. (This seems to affect you closely.)

[Edited at 2024-05-21 08:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-05-21 09:44 GMT]

Baran Keki
expressisverbis

Kieran Sheehan
Kieran Sheehan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
Count me in May 21

Hi Cillian

please count me in, perhaps Frankfurt would be more attractive to some, as it's slightly easier to reach?

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Terminology May 22

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

I've no idea where you're coming from.

Which term are you referring to?

Please excuse any ignorance on my part. (This seems to affect you closely.)

[Edited at 2024-05-21 08:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-05-21 09:44 GMT]

I guess powwow? But since it's the ProZ term...

philgoddard
Jianrong Sun
expressisverbis

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tribute to a genuine language genius May 24

I just thought it apt to visit the place where a language genius resides, and to invite him to join us for perhaps a moment. Would be a low-key show of appreciation on our part.

Jianrong Sun
Jianrong Sun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:03
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Powwow May 24

Powwow?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powwow

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Clarification May 24

I was just poking fun at a certain individual who seems to have made it his lifelong mission (for all we know, he may well have been a Lakota brave in previous life, cut down in his prime at Little Big Horn on the verge of counting coup) to decry the use of the term powwow for such meetings.
I have nothing against the term, which I find fully apt for such gatherings and unreservedly support Proz.com to employ this term.
Apologies to Cillian if I traumatized him in any way.
Fe
... See more
I was just poking fun at a certain individual who seems to have made it his lifelong mission (for all we know, he may well have been a Lakota brave in previous life, cut down in his prime at Little Big Horn on the verge of counting coup) to decry the use of the term powwow for such meetings.
I have nothing against the term, which I find fully apt for such gatherings and unreservedly support Proz.com to employ this term.
Apologies to Cillian if I traumatized him in any way.
Feel to free to get together. I'd love to come over there to join you, but as I said the Germans or Europeans won't give me a visa. However, I'd greatly appreciate it if you good people would put in a word for me to facilitate the visa application.
Thank you!

[Edited at 2024-05-24 13:43 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 16:03
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Baran, May 24

Baran Keki wrote:

Feel to free to get together. I'd love to come over there to join you, but as I said the Germans or Europeans won't give me a visa. However, I'd greatly appreciate it if you good people would put in a word for me to facilitate the visa application.
Thank you!

I think you are wrong. Take a look at Portugal...

Baran Keki

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I could leave my... May 24

Baran Keki wrote:

. I'd love to come over there to join you, but as I said the Germans or Europeans won't give me a visa. However, I'd greatly appreciate it if you good people would put in a word for me to facilitate the visa application.
Thank you!

...hard hat to you for the time granted for a temporary work permission as a Turkish contractor for construction work in Germany, but you would have to work with your hands then, if that's OK for you.

expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
That would be greatly appreciated! May 24

Matthias Brombach wrote:
...hard hat to you for the time granted for a temporary work permission as a Turkish contractor for construction work in Germany, but you would have to work with your hands then, if that's OK for you.

It sure beats translating boring marketing stuff... I've always fancied that cozy, friendly atmosphere of the hut in Auf Wiedersehen Pet. I'd welcome laying bricks like some of my kanaken brethren did back in the 60s, 70s. It's very considerate of you to leave your hard hat! Thanks!

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Burying the hatchet May 24

Plenty of small boats you could take across the channel, Baran… Maybe bring a life jacket rather than a hard hat. Hi viz might be a bad idea, but a pair of scissors would be handy once you get here.

Baran Keki

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
How to choose the proper... May 24

...headdress for a German "PXXXXW":

Apart from hard hats, which show that you belong to the (hard) working class, you may choose for the rather traditional models, like this one (worn on the country side and when you support the German protest farmers:

cordhut

And although a stereotype, this model becomes more and more popular today:

Tirolerhut

But, Baran, please refrain from wearing the good old Stahlhelm. That would be true cultural appropriation...

[Bearbeitet am 2024-05-24 16:01 GMT]

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Good idea! May 24

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Plenty of small boats you could take across the channel, Baran… Maybe bring a life jacket rather than a hard hat. Hi viz might be a bad idea, but a pair of scissors would be handy once you get here.

You mean crossing the channel from Dover? If I could make it that far, I might as well participate in the powwows held in the UK. I hear they put you up in expensive London hotels at the British taxpayer's expense (with the blessing of Gary Lineker, bless him!)

Christopher Schröder

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I obviously need another course in articulation :-) May 26

I'm certain our local hero would find an excuse not to attend, even on his own doorstep.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow in Oberursel?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »