Thread poster: Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 22, 2004

What is the situation in Europe and America? I have been doing English-Chinese translation work for 12 years within China. I want to expand my freelancing business to international especially European and American market. But I know nothing about the situation there. Would anyone help me and offer some information? Thanks.

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Local time: 17:55
English to Assamese
+ ...
Very very good. Oct 23, 2004

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

What is the situation in Europe and America? I have been doing English-Chinese translation work for 12 years within China. I want to expand my freelancing business to international especially European and American market. But I know nothing about the situation there. Would anyone help me and offer some information? Thanks.

Ni Hao,

From all the indicators and the recent world bank report, it is clear that this is going to be the most lucrative pair ever. It is pity that I do not know Chinese.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 14:25
German to English
+ ...
No personal experience, but.... Oct 23, 2004

I don't have any personal experience in this market, but there was a huge report in the FAZ (leading German newspaper) this morning about the booming Chinese economy and all the companies wanting to get some of the action.

Not to mention the ban on textile imports that is being fully lifted in the coming years. I imagine that demand for translations in all languages from and into Chinese will be huge.

FWIW

Alison

Huicheng (X)
Huicheng (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
There is an increasing demand for English-Chinese translation Oct 23, 2004

I have been translating for 20 years in China. To my knowledge, the demand for competent translators is growing.

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you Oct 23, 2004

I am grateful that you are so friendly and helpful. I'm also happy to see the demand is growing. However, to adjust myself to the world market, I believe necessary trainings are vital to my career. In China the way of doing things as a translator is so different from that of other countries. There are so many mediocre translation agencies spoiling the market in China. The market is in a mess and everyone who knows a little English is trying to scoop money as a translator. I think the market shou... See more
I am grateful that you are so friendly and helpful. I'm also happy to see the demand is growing. However, to adjust myself to the world market, I believe necessary trainings are vital to my career. In China the way of doing things as a translator is so different from that of other countries. There are so many mediocre translation agencies spoiling the market in China. The market is in a mess and everyone who knows a little English is trying to scoop money as a translator. I think the market should be standardized and this can help prepare more translators for the international competition.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English-Chinese translation market demand

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »