brand name transliteration
Thread poster: wonseog
wonseog
wonseog
South Korea
Jun 8, 2021

Hi everyone

I just had a quick question on the transliteration of brand names from English to Korean.

It seems like all English brand names (like Microsoft, Apple, Slack, Trello, Nike, etc.) are not translated/transliterated in Korean officially, even though everyone in their daily life transliterate the names.

I also know that the general rule of thumb for brand names is not
... See more
Hi everyone

I just had a quick question on the transliteration of brand names from English to Korean.

It seems like all English brand names (like Microsoft, Apple, Slack, Trello, Nike, etc.) are not translated/transliterated in Korean officially, even though everyone in their daily life transliterate the names.

I also know that the general rule of thumb for brand names is not to translate them, but I can't seem to find a convincing reason why the names have to stay in English when they can be transliterated with no ambiguity in the target language.

Did anybody have this thought for any other languages or in Korean?

Thank you in advance for your kind reply!

[Edited at 2021-06-08 08:07 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:42
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Registered trademarks Jun 8, 2021

These are all registered trademarks and are translated only when the owner of the trademark also registered translated versions, which is quite uncommon in my experience.

neilmac
Kang Seok Lee

wonseog
wonseog
South Korea
TOPIC STARTER
UX point of view Jun 8, 2021

Thank you so much for your reply.

I guess the fact that they are trademarks is definitely a factor for consideration, but from the users' perspective, and especially for those who are not familiar with English, would it be more inclusive to transliterate the brand name?

Or the fact that they are trademarks bear some sort of legal/regulatory ramification if we use the transliterated brand names without properly registering them in the target country?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hmmmm Jun 8, 2021

It would be interesting to try to transliterate well -known South Korean brand names into English, such as Samsung, Hyundai, etc. What do they really mean? I think we should be told.

Kang Seok Lee

Abolfazl Eshghi
Abolfazl Eshghi
Iran
Local time: 21:12
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
In Persian we transliterate Jun 9, 2021

Hi there,

I think the main point here is your readerships. If you are sure there is no ambiguity in transliterating such words, so do it as I do in my language, Persian (Farsi).

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Big & Forever Aug 5, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

It would be interesting to try to transliterate well -known South Korean brand names into English, such as Samsung, Hyundai, etc. What do they really mean? I think we should be told.

Etymology
According to Samsung's founder, the meaning of the Korean hanja word Samsung (三星) is "three stars". The word "three" represents something "big, numerous and powerful", while "stars" means everlasting or eternal, like stars in the sky.

LIZ LI

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

brand name transliteration

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »