Target file showing tracked changes (i.e. both old and new text)
Thread poster: Hayley Wakenshaw
Hayley Wakenshaw
Hayley Wakenshaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:52
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
Sep 1, 2021

I'm new to reviewing in Studio AND to working on srt files, so I'm sure I must have ticked or not ticked a box somewhere (the cause of 99% of my problems in Trados!)

I'm reviewing a translated srt file in Studio 2021. I'm using tracked changes. When I save the target file, when displayed in MS Notepad, the resulting file seems to show what the segment would look like if you selected 'Show markup'. In other words, both the old text and the new in changed segments is included, like th
... See more
I'm new to reviewing in Studio AND to working on srt files, so I'm sure I must have ticked or not ticked a box somewhere (the cause of 99% of my problems in Trados!)

I'm reviewing a translated srt file in Studio 2021. I'm using tracked changes. When I save the target file, when displayed in MS Notepad, the resulting file seems to show what the segment would look like if you selected 'Show markup'. In other words, both the old text and the new in changed segments is included, like this:

Some cars almostnearly run into youyou over.

That the cars wouldspeed limit for cars was made lowerhave a lower speed limit.

How do I get the target srt file to only show the new, changed version of the segment without the old bits left in?

Edited to add: If I export the file for bilingual review, the target segments are displayed correctly with just the new version of the text in the .docx file.

[Edited at 2021-09-01 15:09 GMT]
Collapse

Ramona Böddeker
Ramona Böddeker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:52
French to German
+ ...
Accept Changes before saving target file Sep 2, 2021

Hi Hayley,

I just checked the settings of the .srt file type. Unfortunately, there is no box to tick regarding the export of tracked changes.

Maybe your problem could be solved by accepting all changes in Trados before exporting the target file.

If you still want to save your changes, make a copy of the sdlxliff file first.

Best regards
Ramona

Hayley Wakenshaw
Hayley Wakenshaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:52
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Finalising fixed it? Sep 2, 2021

Ramona Boeckelmann wrote:

Maybe your problem could be solved by accepting all changes in Trados before exporting the target file.

Ramona

I thought I had done this, and it still showed both versions of the text. But only in Notepad. The file displayed correctly in Word, and in the subtitle preview window in Studio.

Now I'm wondering if I perhaps hadn't accepted all the changes, despite hitting CTRL+Enter for every segment. Did I miss something? I'm still only an intermediate Studio user, and there must be a thousand things I'm still not aware of how to do correctly.

Once I'd actually finalised the project, it produced a perfect target file!

Ramona Böddeker
Ramona Böddeker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:52
French to German
+ ...
Accept all changes in Document Sep 3, 2021

Normally you can accept all changes by clicking review > track changes and TQA > Accept > Accept All Changes in Document. So you can be sure that you really have accepted every change.

Unfortuantely, I also don't have much experience in reviewing .srt files in Studio.

But it's good to know that finalising the project solves your problem.

I wish you good luck for futur projects.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Target file showing tracked changes (i.e. both old and new text)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »