Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Fighting scammers: proposing a simple trick?
Thread poster: BabelOn-line
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Providence: Do you prefer working with (1) people or working (2) alone--with papers? Nov 1, 2018

Ain't it fancy to see how allegedly wise and respected translators (not businessmen) tearfully scream and cry they were cheated/ tricked/ scammed/ deceived--even here at ProZ, then flinging humbly a sobbing "That's ok" remark?

Of course, a foul con doesn't care about your privacy or values--he is but a chameleon parasite pretending to be somebody else--a lavish client, an acclaimed company, a trustworthy translator--whatever, including you--just food.

Reading som
... See more
Ain't it fancy to see how allegedly wise and respected translators (not businessmen) tearfully scream and cry they were cheated/ tricked/ scammed/ deceived--even here at ProZ, then flinging humbly a sobbing "That's ok" remark?

Of course, a foul con doesn't care about your privacy or values--he is but a chameleon parasite pretending to be somebody else--a lavish client, an acclaimed company, a trustworthy translator--whatever, including you--just food.

Reading some remarks, I can't help smiling that your Skype/phone is any different from biz email, or a short interview is no good for parties. The very first thing is to make sure one's association is real, whereas both measures come handy, why?

Do something or do nothing--you decide
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 12:09
Russian to English
+ ...
How' that for a novel idea? Nov 1, 2018

Do not make cattle calls. Do not try to make people jump through hoops from the get go. Do not tell them what to do. Instead, talk to them. Respectfully. Engage in a conversation (email works just fine). Show them what you've got, see what they have to offer. Judge the quality of their writing - that alone will tell you volumes. If you both decide you want to talk on the phone or even meet for a drink, well, power be to you. That's how you build relationships. And once you build enough of them, ... See more
Do not make cattle calls. Do not try to make people jump through hoops from the get go. Do not tell them what to do. Instead, talk to them. Respectfully. Engage in a conversation (email works just fine). Show them what you've got, see what they have to offer. Judge the quality of their writing - that alone will tell you volumes. If you both decide you want to talk on the phone or even meet for a drink, well, power be to you. That's how you build relationships. And once you build enough of them, maybe you won't need those cattle calls anymore. You'll know exactly where to go every time you have a job to fill.

BabelOn-line wrote:

... I stupidly thought I was one of yours...

You are not one of anyone's. You are all your own. You are a businessman, or so I think. Try to comport yourself accordingly, because, honestly, for the time being you are coming through like a damsel in distress instead. Sorry for being so blunt.

P.S. As to those CVs (we call them resumes on my side of the pond)... I don't even have one anymore - not even a "real" one, let alone a fake. I don't need it. I talk to people instead. I show them what I can do. Usually, that's enough.

[Edited at 2018-11-01 13:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-11-01 13:42 GMT] [/quote]
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:09
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Huh? Nov 2, 2018

How is asking for payment in advance an immediate red flag? Is it so unheard of?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fighting scammers: proposing a simple trick?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »