ronitarronitar threat
Thread poster: Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:14
English to Italian
Apr 15, 2018

I don't know if this wannabe hacker comes from proz, because my gmail address is on other sites as well, but the fact this guy points to my translation background is a clue

here is part of the ungrammatical and raving message:
I accepted to work with you even it was the first time to work with you, and I did not take any deposit because I trusted you. Now I am asking to send my money and you refused.
I tries too many times to contact you but you do not respond. So you h
... See more
I don't know if this wannabe hacker comes from proz, because my gmail address is on other sites as well, but the fact this guy points to my translation background is a clue

here is part of the ungrammatical and raving message:
I accepted to work with you even it was the first time to work with you, and I did not take any deposit because I trusted you. Now I am asking to send my money and you refused.
I tries too many times to contact you but you do not respond. So you have only 24 hours to respond my email. And if not I will do this; YOU have to be very careful when you are dealing with me!! If not, you have to be ready for what I will do to get my money back!!! Which is;

then a long list of Plagues of Egypt follows

I did a research and found that ronitarronitar is searching to find stalls to hack websites to "gain a lot of money" so be aware
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:14
Danish to English
+ ...
Report to email provider Apr 15, 2018

I think I would report the user to the email provider via their "abuse" link, as this is probably a violation of their terms for use.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
I'm trying to report to the Italian Postal Police but... Apr 15, 2018

even if there is apparently a way to report it online it doesn't work .... GRRR
I'll try your suggested way Thomas

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Ignore & report Apr 15, 2018

Sorry to hear about this unpleasant experience. Online Police probably won't do much, but as Thomas said, you can try reporting to the email provider.

Ever since I joined proZ and launched my personal website I have been receiving more junk mails than ever.

kellychenthomas
kellychenthomas
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
I received the same email today. Apr 15, 2018

I received the same email from [email protected]:
Hi There,

According to your wish I am writing this email [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected]
and what I sent before..
I accepted to work with you even it was t
... See more
I received the same email from [email protected]:
Hi There,

According to your wish I am writing this email [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected]
and what I sent before..
I accepted to work with you even it was the first time to work with you, and I did not take any deposit because I trusted you.
Now I am asking to send my money and you refused.
I tries too many times to contact you but you do not respond.
So you have only 24 hours to respond my email. And if not I will do this;
YOU have to be very careful when you are dealing with me!! If not, you have to be ready for what I will do to get my money back!!! Which is;
1) I will share all the documents between us know proz, Translaor cafe and Translation diroctory.
2) I will prepare a really huge scandal for you, and tell every translator or translation company to deal with you.
3) I will share every single document or email on social media, Facebook, Twitter, Instgram, Skype, Snapchat and every place you can imagine.
4) I will provide every translator and translation company and tell them that you do not pay and you tell stupid answers and more stupid evidence.
5) I will write a report of you telling the entire translation community of your fraud.
6) I will make my Hacker friends to hack your site and your company and destroy it completely.
This is nothing from what I will do!!!
You will lose everything not only money but your name and you entire business.
It is easier to pay, specially you are a small company which wants to be a successful and bigger in translation community!!
PAY FOR ME AND YOU WILL SAVE YOUR NAME AND YOUR BUSINESS! !!!
If you pay for me on my PayPal account I will vote for you excellent in paying on proz.com! !
I want my money back!!!!
and really you have to be careful because I can destroy your company and even your personal life!!!

SO you must pay me full payment NOW,NOW,NOW

Thanks for understanding

I did email back and ask this person that how/where he/she have my email address. And, I have no reply. I was thinking about report it to the proz.com, because I believe that this person is robbing our data from proz.com

Anyone have a better idea on dealing with this scam?

Kelly
Collapse

Vesna Soldat

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:14
German to Turkish
+ ...
a recent similar post Apr 15, 2018

i am not sure but i guess that recently a similar topic was posted here on proz. sorry that i cannot search for it right now but the victim there was italian if i am right.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
ronitarronitar threat Apr 15, 2018

I reported it to Google via their "abuse" link as suggested by Thomas and Lian

I'l let you know if it helps

and I'll search the similar threat mentioned by Elif

thanks to everybody

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Report it to PayPal too Apr 15, 2018

Since the scammer wants money on their PayPal account, I suggest reporting the scam to PayPal too. There is information about reporting fraud here:
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-do-i-report-potential-fraud,-spoof-or-unauthorized-transactions-to-paypal-faq2422

NB: It would be
... See more
Since the scammer wants money on their PayPal account, I suggest reporting the scam to PayPal too. There is information about reporting fraud here:
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-do-i-report-potential-fraud,-spoof-or-unauthorized-transactions-to-paypal-faq2422

NB: It would be a good idea not to post email addresses other than the scammer's here, as they may have nothing to do with the scam.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Got it too... Apr 16, 2018

I would ignore it... obviously, it's a scam...

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Report it to PayPal too Apr 16, 2018

I'll dot it
and about ignoring it, I clearly ignored it Giovanni

nevertheless, maybe that reporting it to paypal and google damage it a bit

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:14
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Don't respond Apr 16, 2018

It's never advisable to respond to this kind of scam. It only confirms to them that you exist and are likely to engage in conversation with the scammer. If you judge an email to be a scam, by all means report it, but then it might be best to just bin it, without responding.

Vesna Soldat

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ronitarronitar threat

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »