Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:44
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 17, 2021

Hello

Suppose I have two columns of dates & times in Excel, how can I calculate the time difference between the two columns?

So, cell A1 = "28/01/2011 17:57" and cell A2 = "01/07/2011 11:14". According to an online calculator, the time difference is 154 days 17 hours 17 minutes.

I don't care in what format the answer is given: days/hours/minutes, hours/minutes, hours, minutes, seconds, etc., as long as I can see the difference.

I tried convert
... See more
Hello

Suppose I have two columns of dates & times in Excel, how can I calculate the time difference between the two columns?

So, cell A1 = "28/01/2011 17:57" and cell A2 = "01/07/2011 11:14". According to an online calculator, the time difference is 154 days 17 hours 17 minutes.

I don't care in what format the answer is given: days/hours/minutes, hours/minutes, hours, minutes, seconds, etc., as long as I can see the difference.

I tried converting the dates to computer time (you know, offset from 1970) but could not figure out how.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
A simple subtraction Nov 17, 2021

=A2-A1

…works for me.

Thomas T. Frost

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
Excel: Time difference between 2 dates/times Nov 18, 2021

You can find 2 different methods for this calculation at the following URL:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/calculate-the-difference-between-two-times-e1c78778-749b-49a3-b13e-737715505ff6

Regards,

Michael

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:44
Serbian to English
+ ...
Differences in resolution .... Nov 18, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello

I tried converting the dates to computer time (you know, offset from 1970) but could not figure out how.

Thanks
Samuel

converting time from an Excel cell to computer time might require some serious tinkering: the operating system counts time in milliseconds (or even with a 100ns resolution), Excel time is counted by whole seconds.

Even the simple "time difference between 2 Excel cells" is not always so "simple" - you have to be careful not to get results with a meaningless precision.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Timestamp Nov 18, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Have a look here : https://www.epochconverter.com/

In Excel (2016) it corresponds to = (Cellwithhumandate-DATE(1970;1;1))*86400

Could be different formulas, I use this one when needed.

Hope this helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel: calculate period between dates

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »