Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:40
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Gmail again Aug 23, 2023

Enrica Nicoli Aldini wrote:
I was contacted on LinkedIn by a Henning Lawrence ([email protected]).

There's part of the problem. When I see gmail I'm instantly on my guard.

It's not unknown for large translation projects to be issued by somebody using gmail or similar freemail, but I'd bet that the vast majority of reputable clients avoid using such services for work purposes.

Dan

Aurélien ARPAZ
Kevin Fulton
Christella Laguerre

Jacy LIN
Jacy LIN
United States
Local time: 16:40
English to Mandarin Chinese
+ ...
I just received a scam email for translating this document, too Aug 23, 2023

I got an e-mail from Fay Clanton,

Hello I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation?.The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 30st/September /2023. Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to conf
... See more
I got an e-mail from Fay Clanton,

Hello I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation?.The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 30st/September /2023. Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Best Regards

Be careful.
Jacy
Collapse

Maryam Parsa
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Jana Schulze
Jana Schulze
Spain
Member (2022)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Flickinger Elzabeth <[email protected]> Aug 30, 2023

Got this Scam today:

Flickinger Elzabeth

Greetings,I have an Spanish content document. I need this document translated to German. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me saps. Later "she" send me the before quoted mail about the work etc.

Asunto: Re: Spanish to German

Thank you for your response, l’m a freelance translator and I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will r
... See more
Got this Scam today:

Flickinger Elzabeth

Greetings,I have an Spanish content document. I need this document translated to German. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me saps. Later "she" send me the before quoted mail about the work etc.

Asunto: Re: Spanish to German

Thank you for your response, l’m a freelance translator and I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 31/August /2023. Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.
Collapse

Alexandra Josephi
Alexandra Josephi
United States
Local time: 18:40
Member (2016)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I was contacted today for the "translation" of Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 Sep 22, 2023

I received the exact same email this morning for a "Cheryl Kutscher" - English to Dutch.

The correspondence scenario is identical to all the other posts. Needless to say, I "nicely" declined to work on the translation.

Thank you all for the warnings!

Coming from: Cheryl Kutscher

" Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this
project. However, I will require your service to translate the
attached English documen
... See more
I received the exact same email this morning for a "Cheryl Kutscher" - English to Dutch.

The correspondence scenario is identical to all the other posts. Needless to say, I "nicely" declined to work on the translation.

Thank you all for the warnings!

Coming from: Cheryl Kutscher

" Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this
project. However, I will require your service to translate the
attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm
your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation?
The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from
3rd/October/2023. Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank
certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if
this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Warm Regards,
Cheryl"
Collapse

Pujing Pan
Pujing Pan
Canada
Local time: 19:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Also got the scam today! Oct 23, 2023

Same stuff, same trick, slightly different email: [email protected]

1st msg:
Hi please can you be of assist by helping in translating
English to Chinese i will be glad if you can reply me via 
[email protected]

follow-up msg:
Hello, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project.I am 65yrs old
... See more
Same stuff, same trick, slightly different email: [email protected]

1st msg:
Hi please can you be of assist by helping in translating
English to Chinese i will be glad if you can reply me via 
[email protected]

follow-up msg:
Hello, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project.I am 65yrs old based in canada and i will be glad if you can handle project very well However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 20th/Nov/2023. Finally, I'm proposing a cashier check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Best Regards,

-----------
Author: Marois Sarah
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 140.228.21.240
Xiaonuo Li wrote:

Yesterday, I was contacted by one and the message left to me was:
" Greeting,
My name is Scott I'm contacting you in regard to an
English content document.I need this document translate into
Chinese.I would like
to know if you are interested and available to get this done
for me. For more details Please get back to
([email protected] ) as
soon as you can.

Best Regards,
Scott "

I applied to the email "[email protected]" and today I got the same reply as you did as follows:
"Hello,
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 28th/October/2019.Finally, I'm proposing a Cashier Check.and it will clear your bank before you send the document .? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards.
Scott"

The attached file is the same as you described: "PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1

What do organizations use conflict management for?

For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals, the people in the organization need to have a shared vision of what they are striving to achieve, as well as clear objectives for each team / department and individual. You also need ways of recognizing and resolving conflict amongst people, so that conflict does not become so serious that co-operation is impossible. All members of any organization need to have ways of keeping conflict to a minimum - and of solving problems caused by conflict, before conflict becomes a major obstacle to your work. This could happen to any organization, whether it is an NGO, a CBO, a political party, a business or a government.

Conflict management is the process of planning to avoid conflict where possible and organizing to resolve conflict where it does happen, as rapidly and smoothly as possible.

Important things to know about "conflict" and "conflict management":"

In total there are 44 pages.

I am pretty sure this is a spam. Be CAREFUL everyone!
Collapse

Samuel López

Ingrid Bastien
Ingrid Bastien  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
Public Organization Procedures Phase 1 Scam Oct 30, 2023

Same here. I got the email from: [email protected].

I'm so glad I came across this thread.

Thank you all for taking the time to post and reply.

Samuel López
Samuel López
Canada
English to Spanish
I received the same scam Oct 30, 2023

From

[email protected]

and from

[email protected]

For Spanish in Canada

Samuel

Samuel López
Samuel López
Canada
English to Spanish
I received the cheque for Public Organization Procedures for twice as much Nov 2, 2023

The emails were from different yet similar addresses.
I receive ed the bank draft for twice as much.
I am supposed to return money.
If I do, they will keep my money and I would receive nothing from them.
I asked them to call me and they haven't
If you send someone an extra $2000.00 wouldn't you contact them or let them call you?
The document is exactly the same one others have received and for the same language others have received.
Therefore, they don't
... See more
The emails were from different yet similar addresses.
I receive ed the bank draft for twice as much.
I am supposed to return money.
If I do, they will keep my money and I would receive nothing from them.
I asked them to call me and they haven't
If you send someone an extra $2000.00 wouldn't you contact them or let them call you?
The document is exactly the same one others have received and for the same language others have received.
Therefore, they don't need to translate again.
They found my name here in Proz.com
I found it suspicious from the moment the emails started to arrive from two different addresses that looked the same.
It is also a very stupid mistake to make.
The cheque arrived a week late.
They did not answer all of my questions.
I told them I received the cheque and that I had purchase a ticket to the Caribbean.
I haven't heard back from them.
I am going to toss the cheque.
I also sent them an email with a picture from proz.com saying that this is a scam.
They never responded to that.
The cheque does look fake but I don't often see a bank draft so it could look legit.

I don't know if there is something else I should do about the situation or if I should do something with the cheque.
There's no information about the sender on the envelope.
Luckily, I found this forum.
Collapse

Magali Grimany
Magali Grimany
United States
I also received this scam Nov 4, 2023

This week I received from ProZ.com an email from a Walker Lopez who asked me to reply to [email protected] to translate that same document from English to Spanish that everyone in this thread has mentioned. He told me he was "hoping you would treat me very well just like other as I am deaf of hearing". He insisted on sending me a check ASAP, asking for my full name, address, phone number. I guess they wanted to steal my identit... See more
This week I received from ProZ.com an email from a Walker Lopez who asked me to reply to [email protected] to translate that same document from English to Spanish that everyone in this thread has mentioned. He told me he was "hoping you would treat me very well just like other as I am deaf of hearing". He insisted on sending me a check ASAP, asking for my full name, address, phone number. I guess they wanted to steal my identity? But I see from this thread that they're sending a check for double the amount hoping you send back the "excess" and that's how they mess you up. Goodness! I see this old trick has been going on since 2019!Collapse

Filippe Vasconcellos de Freitas Guimarães
Filippe Vasconcellos de Freitas Guimarães  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:40
Member (2009)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Haven't seen one of these in a while... Nov 27, 2023

Just got one of these from "Jennifer Fosterb" for translation from English into Portuguese. Exact same messages and "source file" as above.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Far older Nov 28, 2023

Magali Grimany wrote:
I see this old trick has been going on since 2019!

My understanding is that the "sending you a cheque for too much money" scam is decades old i.e. it predates the internet.

Regards,
Dan

Kevin Fulton

Mathilde Simonin
Mathilde Simonin
United States
Local time: 16:40
English to French
+ ...
Janet smith scam Nov 30, 2023

Hi everyone !
So happy I found this thread! I got the same scam from Janet smith...

Charlotte Eagley
Charlotte Eagley  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just got the almost exact offer Dec 12, 2023

I received a very similar email offer towards the end of Nov. It was almost exactly the same. When they want to pay up front, that is surely a red flag.

Samar Arafah
Samar Arafah  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:40
English to Arabic
+ ...
It is still going on Dec 14, 2023

The same scam with the same text to translate is still around. I've received it today for translation into Arabic. Be careful and please know that receiving a check and cashing it does not mean you are safe! The bank may take some time to realize the check was false.

Christella Laguerre
Christella Laguerre  Identity Verified
United States
Haitian-Creole to French
+ ...
These Scammers are still around! janet smith <[email protected]> Jan 5

Thank God I ran a google search before going any further with the translation request.

The email is from: janet smith

Greetings,I have an ENGLISH content document. I need this document translated to Haitian Kreyol. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me asap..

Then after I replied, they sent this:

I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, can you confirm your charges per page, p
... See more
Thank God I ran a google search before going any further with the translation request.

The email is from: janet smith

Greetings,I have an ENGLISH content document. I need this document translated to Haitian Kreyol. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me asap..

Then after I replied, they sent this:

I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, can you confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 3 January-2024.Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified bank draft, cashier's check a bank certified check or money order. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you, I look forward to reading from you soon

Then I ran a google search once i realized that they don't have a website nor a professional email or phone number.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »