UK Prof Indem insurance re working for American agencies
Thread poster: Sonya Mountford-Jones
Sonya Mountford-Jones
Sonya Mountford-Jones  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:47
French to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2004

Does anybody have Professional Indemnity Insurance in the UK that allows them to work for American agencies? I've just taken out mine and have been told that my cover doesn't extend to American agency work and that if I am offered work through said agencies I'll need to refer it to them and it may incur an additional premium. Is it just best to stick to working for European agencies if you live in the UK?

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Did you not read the fine print? Oct 25, 2004

Before taking up insurance and other similar services, it is always advisable to be clear about not only what services are included but also about what services are excluded. The latter is more important. The executive dealing with the booking of your contract will usually try not to draw your attention to those exclusion clauses. Buyer beware is the right motto.

There was this information giving agency, giving information about various services to anybody who asks them by phone. I
... See more
Before taking up insurance and other similar services, it is always advisable to be clear about not only what services are included but also about what services are excluded. The latter is more important. The executive dealing with the booking of your contract will usually try not to draw your attention to those exclusion clauses. Buyer beware is the right motto.

There was this information giving agency, giving information about various services to anybody who asks them by phone. I registered with them for translation and interpreting. It is supposed to give my and other translators' contact information to possible users of transltion services, who might contact them for information about translators for the jobs to be done in a hurry. Once the executive took my cheque and the contract was signed, another executive contacted me and told me that my name would be given only to askers who live in my zone in my city. For this purpose, my city was arbitrarily divided into different zones. If I want my name to be given for all the zones, I have to pay more. This aspect was not touched upon at the time of booking my order. I politely declined and told them that they were not going to get a repeat order from me and I will not renew my registration at the appropriate time.

Buyer beware.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Sonya Mountford wrote:

Does anybody have Professional Indemnity Insurance in the UK that allows them to work for American agencies? I've just taken out mine and have been told that my cover doesn't extend to American agency work and that if I am offered work through said agencies I'll need to refer it to them and it may incur an additional premium. Is it just best to stick to working for European agencies if you live in the UK?
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:47
German to English
+ ...
UK Prof Indem insurance re working for American agencies Oct 25, 2004

Sonya,

The policy available to ITI members through the ITI covers work for US customers, albeit with certain exclusions.

Marc

Sonya Mountford-Jones
Sonya Mountford-Jones  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:47
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your responses Oct 25, 2004

Thank you for your comments Narasimhan, and I did ask about this when I obtained my insurance quotes, it’s just that they all seemed to say the same thing, i.e. we may cover you for American companies but you’ll have to check every client and every job with us first. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any insurance companies that were a bit more easy-going about it.

Thanks for your reply Marc but I phoned the ITI members broker and they too said I would have to refer all Am
... See more
Thank you for your comments Narasimhan, and I did ask about this when I obtained my insurance quotes, it’s just that they all seemed to say the same thing, i.e. we may cover you for American companies but you’ll have to check every client and every job with us first. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any insurance companies that were a bit more easy-going about it.

Thanks for your reply Marc but I phoned the ITI members broker and they too said I would have to refer all American company work to them. It feels like everyone’s actually discouraging me from working for them.

I can’t imagine that nobody in the UK does American agency translation work, so am I just being too paranoid about the whole insurance issue or does everyone else actually ring their broker every time they’re offered work by them?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK Prof Indem insurance re working for American agencies

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »