Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Apr 6, 2010

Is it possible to collapse very long tags in TTX projects? Like:

[cf italic="on" complexscriptsitalic="on"][/ut>cursief[ut Type="end" LeftEdge="angle" DisplayText="cf"][/cf][/ut]

[ = <
] = >

Which is displayed as:

[cf italic="on" complexscriptsitalic="on"]cursief[/cf]

with both tags displayed in the font color assigned to tags in the User Profile.

I'd like to collapse these long tags to:

cursief
... See more
Is it possible to collapse very long tags in TTX projects? Like:

[cf italic="on" complexscriptsitalic="on"][/ut>cursief[ut Type="end" LeftEdge="angle" DisplayText="cf"][/cf][/ut]

[ = <
] = >

Which is displayed as:

[cf italic="on" complexscriptsitalic="on"]cursief[/cf]

with both tags displayed in the font color assigned to tags in the User Profile.

I'd like to collapse these long tags to:

cursief

Like I can in other FFD's.

Thanks,

Hans

[Edited at 2010-04-06 13:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-06 13:26 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:38
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
yes Apr 6, 2010

Yes, In Tag Editor you can toggle between the 3 blue diamonds that represent
1. No tag text
2. Partial tag text
3. Complete tag text

P.S.
Sorry! My answer applies to Tag Editor and I've just realised we're in the Transit forum

[Edited at 2010-04-06 14:21 GMT]

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Settings in the FFD Apr 8, 2010

The field "view" in the file format definition to be defined for each tag type serves this purpose. But it requires a deeper knowledge of the settings of FFDs to make appropriate changes.
Geneviève.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
XV or NXT? Apr 8, 2010

I sort of forgot the exact options in XV, since I have only worked in NXT for quite a long time, but AFAIR you can choose "reduced tags" for displaying in both versions. I ususally keep display of full tags in the source and reduced ones in the target to have as much control as possible while not being disturbed by too long non-translated strings in the target.

It may be just a workaround where you wanted a full-blooded solution, but it may be at least worth considering.

... See more
I sort of forgot the exact options in XV, since I have only worked in NXT for quite a long time, but AFAIR you can choose "reduced tags" for displaying in both versions. I ususally keep display of full tags in the source and reduced ones in the target to have as much control as possible while not being disturbed by too long non-translated strings in the target.

It may be just a workaround where you wanted a full-blooded solution, but it may be at least worth considering.

Antonin
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Why did STAR do such a bad job? Apr 9, 2010

Hi Geneviève,

Nice to meet you in this forum!

So, it should technically be possible to collabse these . This raises (at least for me) the question:

- Why did STAR do such a bad job in defining the TTX filter.

After 22 years of happy translating, this is my first TTX project and I must confess: it takes longer than planned and I don't enjoy working between al these tags.

Enjoy the weekend,

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Xliff collapse tags? Apr 9, 2010

Thanks for your reply, Antonín!

I'm still working in Transit XV, because I receive the most project files in this project format.

But, perhaps, after 2 Service Packs, it has become time to do some more jobs in Transit NXT, for which I've set up a separate Virtual Machine, because I was having problems some months ago with running XV and NXT in the same Windows XP system (NXT stopped completely recognizing terminology from the Big Mama SQL terminology base).

... See more
Thanks for your reply, Antonín!

I'm still working in Transit XV, because I receive the most project files in this project format.

But, perhaps, after 2 Service Packs, it has become time to do some more jobs in Transit NXT, for which I've set up a separate Virtual Machine, because I was having problems some months ago with running XV and NXT in the same Windows XP system (NXT stopped completely recognizing terminology from the Big Mama SQL terminology base).

Luckily the TTX file format is threatened with extinction. Can you answer this question: Does the Xliff FFD allow to collapse long tags?

Are you satisfied with the Xliff filter? Is it any good?

Thanks again,

Hans
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
NXT backward compatibility Apr 9, 2010

Well, I receive XV projects in NXT and send them out from NXT and have not had any complaints from the customers. Also, I have both XV and NXT on one machine without any problems whatsoever. But I imported all dictionaries from XV into NXT and work only in the latter, so your problem is probably a relevant one if you want to go on working with XV on a large scale.

I liked the overall concept of XV better than that of NXT, I have to admit, but I learned to live with those bells and w
... See more
Well, I receive XV projects in NXT and send them out from NXT and have not had any complaints from the customers. Also, I have both XV and NXT on one machine without any problems whatsoever. But I imported all dictionaries from XV into NXT and work only in the latter, so your problem is probably a relevant one if you want to go on working with XV on a large scale.

I liked the overall concept of XV better than that of NXT, I have to admit, but I learned to live with those bells and whistles. The auto-feature of the spell-checker (this red wavy underline of unrecognised words) is something I really like and find useful (if I could have XV with it, I would probably have stayed with XV).

I do not get any xliff projects from customers, so I have no info in this respect.

Antonin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Collapse tags in TTX projects

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »