Is there a list of non-paying outsourcers at ProZ.com?
Thread poster: liora (X)
liora (X)
liora (X)  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:10
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Apr 12, 2013

Is there a ProzCom list for non-paying companies that advertise on ProzCom?
I translated something for an American Co about 3 months ago for nearly 800$ and they have not paid yet.
the work came from the prozcom wall.
Any suggestions please?

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
English to Russian
+ ...
Blue Board Apr 12, 2013

Jobs & directories --> Blue Board

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:10
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Blue Board Apr 12, 2013

Hi Liora,

It is a good idea to do the following if you haven't been paid:

place a message on the Blue Board for this agency stating that you have completed a project 3 months ago for which you have not yet been paid.

If they don't have a blue board record, you can create one.

Inform the agency that you have done so and that you will be keeping your colleagues informed of your progress with obtaining payment (never assume they won't pay you). G
... See more
Hi Liora,

It is a good idea to do the following if you haven't been paid:

place a message on the Blue Board for this agency stating that you have completed a project 3 months ago for which you have not yet been paid.

If they don't have a blue board record, you can create one.

Inform the agency that you have done so and that you will be keeping your colleagues informed of your progress with obtaining payment (never assume they won't pay you). Give them a date upon which you expect payment (give them perhaps a week or so).

You'll find that this may motivate them to pay you.

Don't allow them to coerce you into removing the comment once you've been paid. You can just edit the comment to say 'After placing this comment and X months after the invoice date, I have now been paid'.

This means that colleagues will still be aware of their shoddy payment practices.

I'm not really familiar with the system in the US for taking legal action. You could perhaps hint that you will take legal action if they haven't paid you by the date stated in your communication and then find out how to go about that.

I've had loads of payment problems in the time I've worked as a freelance translator but I've always ended up getting paid (the longest time was 6 months after invoice date).

I say this because I know how easy it is to think that all is lost when you haven't been paid for a job but often, you just have to go through the moves and you'll eventually end up being paid.

Good luck!
Collapse

liora (X)
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you very much for your comprehensive reply Apr 12, 2013

thanks

NataliaAnne
NataliaAnne  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:10
Portuguese to English
Proz Record of Non-Payment Apr 12, 2013

Marie-Helene has given a great reply on what you should do. The Blue Board serves to give feedback on outsourcers but I think there are issues with translators removing negative entries, meaning it can be hard to gauge what has really gone on in the past.

Without meaning to hijack your thread, this relates to my recent thread on how Pr
... See more
Marie-Helene has given a great reply on what you should do. The Blue Board serves to give feedback on outsourcers but I think there are issues with translators removing negative entries, meaning it can be hard to gauge what has really gone on in the past.

Without meaning to hijack your thread, this relates to my recent thread on how Proz deals with non-paying outsourcers:
http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/246703-banned_agency_now_back_on_proz.html
To reiterate, two separate non-payment complaints results in a warning, three complaints results in a suspension, complaints being removed results in the outsourcer being reinstated.

Translators, I urge you not to remove negative Blue Board entries; they can simply be revised as Marie-Helene pointed out.

Proz staff, I still want to see a note/banner on the Blue Board stating that XYZ agency was previously banned for non-payment.

[Edited at 2013-04-12 13:48 GMT]
Collapse

Steven Fung
Steven Fung  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
French to English
+ ...
Yes, please report this on the Blue Board Apr 13, 2013

NataliaAnne wrote:

Without meaning to hijack your thread, this relates to my recent thread on how Proz deals with non-paying outsourcers:
http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/246703-banned_agency_now_back_on_proz.html
To reiterate, two separate non-payment complaints results in a warning, three complaints results in a suspension, complaints being removed results in the outsourcer being reinstated.

Translators, I urge you not to remove negative Blue Board entries; they can simply be revised as Marie-Helene pointed out.

Proz staff, I still want to see a note/banner on the Blue Board stating that XYZ agency was previously banned for non-payment.

I've noticed this on Blue Board too. Previously negative comments are either removed or 'revised.' There are also discrepancies between the star ratings and the accompanying comments, especially with some of the big agencies. I often see 4 or 5 stars but the accompanying comments appear to contradict the high scores. So perhaps some translators are really being coerced into revising their ratings. There is another tendency, again, most often with the big agencies - a highly negative comment (one star) would be immediately followed by several highly positive comments (five stars). It could all be just pure coincidence, of course...

Going back to the original topic, I with Marie-Hélène and Natalia's advice, use Blue Board and make sure your score reflects your experience, in this case, non-payment.

[Edited at 2013-04-13 14:57 GMT]

liora (X)
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 13, 2013

Thank you.

Peter Smedskjaer-Stenland
Peter Smedskjaer-Stenland
Faroe Islands
Danish to English
+ ...
Sue them Apr 13, 2013

While the original contract may have been for 800 USD, because they are refusing to pay, the contract is null and void and you own the copy right on your work. Sue them for what a very expensive translator would have requested if they have since sold your work to their clients.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Unrealistic, I think Apr 13, 2013

ExScientiaVera wrote:
While the original contract may have been for 800 USD, because they are refusing to pay, the contract is null and void and you own the copy right on your work. Sue them for what a very expensive translator would have requested if they have since sold your work to their clients.

I don't believe you can sue somebody on the profit they may or may not have made, or what someone else may have charged them. You can only sue for your own loss. And although that might be the eventual outcome, this was (only) three months ago. Payment is certainly late, but the debt has to be correctly escalated.

Simin Tan
Simin Tan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:10
Chinese to English
Blue Board ratings and usefulness Apr 13, 2013

NataliaAnne wrote:

I agree. I recently had a run-in with a non-paying agency which was banned as a result of my complaint; the company was later reinstated and my comment removed. (I was also abused by the agency owner via email.) There is no way for another translator to know that ABC agency has had a really poor payment history and such a brazen lack of professionalism!

[Edited at 2013-04-13 15:14 GMT]

liora (X)
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear friends, I received a positive reply Apr 13, 2013

Dear friends and encouragers (is there such a word?)
I received a positive reply from the person concerned to whom I simply sent this link... and I hope everything will be fine by next week.
Best regards to all and have a nice weekend
Viva la ProzaComa
Liora

Thao Tran

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a list of non-paying outsourcers at ProZ.com?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »