Can I ask for pro bono services...?
Thread poster: utvi
May 19, 2012

Hi,

I created an animated PSA campaign that we want to have versioned into 73 languages. We have done about a dozen so far.

The campaign is on preventing domestic violence. If you want to see them, just go to www.noexcusescampaign.org or search for the No Excuses campaign against domestic violence on YouTube.

We use animation and humor.

There are 11 3
... See more
Hi,

I created an animated PSA campaign that we want to have versioned into 73 languages. We have done about a dozen so far.

The campaign is on preventing domestic violence. If you want to see them, just go to www.noexcusescampaign.org or search for the No Excuses campaign against domestic violence on YouTube.

We use animation and humor.

There are 11 30-second spots so there are not that many words.

However, we have no money to pay for translations or voice-overs.

So, am I allowed to post this as a job on this site? Will the translators on this site donate their services?

Thank you.

[Edited at 2012-05-20 04:48 GMT]
Collapse

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:56
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only if your represent a registered non-profit organization May 21, 2012

Hello,

As job posting rule #2 states, you can only post a pro-bono job if you represent a registered non-profit organization. Also note that if you post you will be required to include a link to your website in your job posting, so that interested translators can decide if they wish to collaborate with your company before submitting a quote.

You may also apply to the Translators Without Bo
... See more
Hello,

As job posting rule #2 states, you can only post a pro-bono job if you represent a registered non-profit organization. Also note that if you post you will be required to include a link to your website in your job posting, so that interested translators can decide if they wish to collaborate with your company before submitting a quote.

You may also apply to the Translators Without Borders organization, and they may help you reach interested translators. You can submit an application on this page: http://translatorswithoutborders.org/NGO-Application-Form

Please let me know if you have any question.

Best regards,

Alejandro Cavalitto
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Agree with Alejandro May 21, 2012

Alejandro Cavalitto wrote:
As job posting rule #2 states, you can only post a pro-bono job if you represent a registered non-profit organization. Also note that if you post you will be required to include a link to your website in your job posting...

Yes, I posted several volunteer translation "jobs" when I worked for a registered non-profit. However, I made the mistake of posting these jobs under my own profile account, and now that I no longer work at that NGO, my profile here is still associated with it.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:56
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Affiliation removed May 21, 2012

Dear Samuel,

I see that your affiliation with the Blue Board record for that NGO was removed in March 2011. Do you still see it anywhere on ProZ.com? If you do, please let me know and I will take care of it. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I ask for pro bono services...?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »