Are there any alumni from NYU's Certificate in Translation Practice in this forum?
Thread poster: Aline Santos
Aline Santos
Aline Santos
Canada
Local time: 22:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 27, 2020

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in earning a translator certificate, from Portuguese (Pt-Br) to English, and I found this online course named "Certificate in Translation Practice", offered by
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in earning a translator certificate, from Portuguese (Pt-Br) to English, and I found this online course named "Certificate in Translation Practice", offered by the New York University (https://www.sps.nyu.edu/professional-pathways/certificates/language-and-translation/translation-practice.html).

Has anyone ever heard of it? I'd like to touch base with alumni from this course before making a decision.

Thanks in advance!

Wish you all a great day!
Collapse

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Certificate in Translation Practice Apr 27, 2020

Aline Santos wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in earning a translator certificate, from Portuguese (Pt-Br) to English, and I found this online course named "Certificate in Translation Practice", offered by the New York University (https://www.sps.nyu.edu/professional-pathways/certificates/language-and-translation/translation-practice.html).

Has anyone ever heard of it? I'd like to touch base with alumni from this course before making a decision.

Thanks in advance!

Wish you all a great day!

Hello @Aline,
I hope you are doing well.

No, I ddidn't hear of this "Certificate in Translation Practice" offered by the New York University .

Hugs

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:43
German to English
Not an alumnus Apr 28, 2020

I have, however, worked with a couple of translators over the years who held an NYU certificate. They generally had better organizational skills compared to others with certificates (non-degree programs) from other universities. On the whole, their translation skills were above average, but it's quite likely that certificate holders are a self-selecting group, so they perhaps started out at a higher skill level compared to other colleagues without training.

Obtaining a certificate
... See more
I have, however, worked with a couple of translators over the years who held an NYU certificate. They generally had better organizational skills compared to others with certificates (non-degree programs) from other universities. On the whole, their translation skills were above average, but it's quite likely that certificate holders are a self-selecting group, so they perhaps started out at a higher skill level compared to other colleagues without training.

Obtaining a certificate or even a degree is no guarantee that the individual will necessarily be a better translator if there is no basic talent or knowledge evident.

The NYU certificate program has been around for quite a few years and a certificate is a recognized credential.
Collapse

Aline Santos
Harvetta Asamoah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any alumni from NYU's Certificate in Translation Practice in this forum?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »