Get an recognized certificate for translation/interpretation- English Vietnamese
Thread poster: suongmai
suongmai
suongmai  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 02:07
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Mar 7, 2013

Hello

I'm Vietnamese and I graduated from University of Languages, Translation and Interpretation of course, but in a vietnamese university and now i see that i should have a certificate from a association or something that is recognized worldwide.
But my pair is English vietnamese, i do not know where to find those, even i have looked a lot in internet.
Anybody has idea to help me on this? I have time now and really want to do it because getting busy again !
... See more
Hello

I'm Vietnamese and I graduated from University of Languages, Translation and Interpretation of course, but in a vietnamese university and now i see that i should have a certificate from a association or something that is recognized worldwide.
But my pair is English vietnamese, i do not know where to find those, even i have looked a lot in internet.
Anybody has idea to help me on this? I have time now and really want to do it because getting busy again !

Have a good day !

[Edited at 2013-03-07 20:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-03-07 20:25 GMT]
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:07
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
NAATI Mar 7, 2013

Hi,

How about NAATI? You can sit their test, or maybe they can even recognize your degree?
http://www.naati.com.au/PDF/Booklets/Accreditation_by_Testing_booklet.pdf

suongmai
suongmai  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 02:07
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Mar 8, 2013

Thank you,
that is good idea, i will look more on this.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 22:07
Turkish to English
+ ...
This has aroused my curiosity Mar 8, 2013

I noted with interest the range of languages offered, including my pair, and the fact that the examination can be sat at a large number of venues globally.
I wonder, if somebody living a long way from Australia passed this examination, how likely they would then be of receiving public service related translation work from Australia.
I also wonder how hard the 'Ethics of the Profession' section is.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:07
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Ethics of the Profession is easy Mar 8, 2013

Tim Drayton wrote:
I noted with interest the range of languages offered, including my pair, and the fact that the examination can be sat at a large number of venues globally.
I wonder, if somebody living a long way from Australia passed this examination, how likely they would then be of receiving public service related translation work from Australia.
I also wonder how hard the 'Ethics of the Profession' section is.

Hi Tim,

Ethics is easy. Basically, you need to use your common sense, that's it.

A couple of links:
http://server.dream-fusion.net/ausit2/pics/ethics.pdf
http://www.naati.com.au/PDF/Booklets/Ethics_Booklet.pdf

As for the first part of your question, well, I can't be sure, but I do not think that your location is THAT important (we are not talking about interpreting here, of course). So far, I have not been contacted by a single agency from South Australia (where I currently live) but the ones from Victoria and NSW are really keen on working with me (they have got more Russians over there). The first thing they ask about is the NAATI accreditation not your location. I can't see the difference for them between Adelaide or Paris from that point of view, unless they specifically need one residing in Sydney, in that case, neither Adelaide neither Paris would work for them.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:07
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi, if you live in the United States, and you want to be an interpreter Mar 8, 2013

You should get certified by a court in your state -- most of them require exams, and then you can interpret in any legal setting, and basically anywhere else. Interpreting and translation are totally different skills. Some people do both, but not that many, in fact. There is no translation/interpretation certification, although most certified interpreters translate at least some legal documents. If you want to be a translator in the US, you don't need any certification at all, but some kind of ... See more
You should get certified by a court in your state -- most of them require exams, and then you can interpret in any legal setting, and basically anywhere else. Interpreting and translation are totally different skills. Some people do both, but not that many, in fact. There is no translation/interpretation certification, although most certified interpreters translate at least some legal documents. If you want to be a translator in the US, you don't need any certification at all, but some kind of an exam might be helpful in applying for jobs -- to put on your resume.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Get an recognized certificate for translation/interpretation- English Vietnamese

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »