Thread poster: Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 17:26
Member (2011)
English to German
Apr 18, 2012

Does anyone at ProZ have experience with the Graham School in Chicago? It claims to improve your skills in financial, medical and legal translation.

Each course is 3 days in Chicago, followed by 8 weeks of online assignments and studies.

Is this really a good University? Or could I just as well attend a medical terminology course at my local college?

I discovered an advertisement of the Graham School in ATA's latest Chronicle and was just wondering...
... See more
Does anyone at ProZ have experience with the Graham School in Chicago? It claims to improve your skills in financial, medical and legal translation.

Each course is 3 days in Chicago, followed by 8 weeks of online assignments and studies.

Is this really a good University? Or could I just as well attend a medical terminology course at my local college?

I discovered an advertisement of the Graham School in ATA's latest Chronicle and was just wondering...

Best,

Marina

Marina M. Steinbach - Translations
Collapse

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Local time: 23:26
Italian to English
Graham School -> The University of Chicago Apr 18, 2012

Hi Marina,

The Graham School is the continuing education branch of the University of Chicago - and yes, the University of Chicago is a good university - one of the top schools in the world, in fact, with a reputation for real excellence. Of course the continuing education branch is just that, a continuing education branch. But it has an excellent reputation and is expected to live up to the expectations of its parent organization.

The best thing to do would be to reques
... See more
Hi Marina,

The Graham School is the continuing education branch of the University of Chicago - and yes, the University of Chicago is a good university - one of the top schools in the world, in fact, with a reputation for real excellence. Of course the continuing education branch is just that, a continuing education branch. But it has an excellent reputation and is expected to live up to the expectations of its parent organization.

The best thing to do would be to request contact information for students who have taken the course(s) you are interested in and who would be willing to talk about their experiences in the program with prospective students. Be clear about your goals so that anyone you contact can give you an idea about whether those goals would be served by the program.

I do not have direct experience with the Graham school, but did a Master's at the University of Chicago, which is why I have some familiarity with the continuing ed. arm.

Sarah
Collapse

Carolyn Yohn
Carolyn Yohn  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:26
French to English
+ ...
Looks OK Apr 18, 2012

I used ATA's list of "approved" schools to help me figure out what program to choose. I ended up going the NYU certificate route (all online, fairly inexpensive, and so far, great teachers!). Your Graham School is also on the list, though: http://www.atanet.org/certification/eligibility_approved.php#us

I'd say that's a fairly good endorsement.

Olga Silk
Olga Silk
United States
English to Russian
Certificate in Translation Studies, University of Chicago Graham School Feb 5, 2013

Hello Marina,

I was wondering if you were successful in obtaining more information on the Certificate Program in Translation Studies offered by Graham School? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

All the best,

Olga

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:26
German to English
+ ...
I took the Legal Translation course Feb 5, 2013

You can contact me through ProZ if you'd like. I took the Legal Translation course and had a good experience with it. I am not doing the entire certificate, though, since that's all I needed.

Also, I encourage you to contact the program coordinator - the information should be on the website. She's very helpful.

Olga Silk
Olga Silk
United States
English to Russian
Daina, thank you very much for your reply. Feb 6, 2013

Glad to hear that you had a good experience with the Graham School. I am planning on getting in touch with the program coordinator in the next few days. If I have any questions, I will message you here on ProZ. Again, thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Olga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Studies Certificate Program

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »