Exam preparation in general - how do you do it?
Thread poster: Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:34
English to German
+ ...
Apr 23, 2009

Hi All,

I'm sure most of you already took any kind of translation exam or are currently preparing for the one or other or maybe think of taking one in the future. So, I would really like to hear how you did prepare for your exam or are preparing for it. Any recommendations will be appreciated!

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Annett

Barbara Turchetto
Barbara Turchetto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
German to Italian
+ ...
Reading Apr 23, 2009

Hi, if you are not doing any test translation at school for your exam preparation, a good suggestion is reading as many texts as possible covering the subject you are going to work on.
On the Internet you can find a wide choice of material that can be useful as for the word choice or technical terminology.
Don't forget to compare similar texts in the two languages you are expected to use in your exam!
Have a nice day!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask for help Apr 23, 2009

I assume you mean exams that require you to do one or several translations, as the ATA certification, DipTrans, etc.

In my case, I was lucky to be able to count on some great help by a fantastic translator and reviewer we work with in the team. She's far more experienced and in so many senses a better translator than me, so I asked her to challenge me with a number of sample texts she had already worked on, let me do them in the conditions of the exam (on paper, with pencil, fixed t
... See more
I assume you mean exams that require you to do one or several translations, as the ATA certification, DipTrans, etc.

In my case, I was lucky to be able to count on some great help by a fantastic translator and reviewer we work with in the team. She's far more experienced and in so many senses a better translator than me, so I asked her to challenge me with a number of sample texts she had already worked on, let me do them in the conditions of the exam (on paper, with pencil, fixed time, the reference books I planned to have with me) and review them.

The result was fantastic. We sometimes don't have the time to polish and remember certain things, and her sincere, blunt feedback was vital in my ATA certification exam. I encourage you to look for another, more experienced colleague who can show you where you failed and why.

Of course rechecking all rules of all kinds applicable to your target language is a must. And, as Barbara suggests, reading parallel texts can be a big help too.

[Edited at 2009-04-23 15:12 GMT]
Collapse

Ioanna Orfanoudaki
Ioanna Orfanoudaki  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Greek
+ ...
Careful with internet texts Apr 23, 2009

Just a small (perhaps obvious, but still...) suggestion when choosing reference texts on the web: make sure the authors (and their respective translators) are as reliable as possible, there's so much junk published out there, along with the serious and official documents....

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exam preparation in general - how do you do it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »