Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you feel some reviewers make changes to translations "just to change something"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 18:33
English to Russian
+ ...
I make preferential changes all the time Jun 21, 2023

They make the text more streamlined. I'd have a job explaining every single one of them in terms of whether the change was necessary: most of my work as a reviewer revolves around subjective things that cannot be quantified and evaluated based on objective criteria (and no, I'm not talking about literary translations, which are almost 100% subjective). However, I've never received strong rejoinders to my comments about why I'd made specific changes to a translation. Also, I make a lot of changes... See more
They make the text more streamlined. I'd have a job explaining every single one of them in terms of whether the change was necessary: most of my work as a reviewer revolves around subjective things that cannot be quantified and evaluated based on objective criteria (and no, I'm not talking about literary translations, which are almost 100% subjective). However, I've never received strong rejoinders to my comments about why I'd made specific changes to a translation. Also, I make a lot of changes that correct what I believe are grave errors in the translation, but even those errors are often such that the translator could probably explain them away by referring to dictionaries, use cases, and other materials. Ultimately, what makes my corrected versions stronger than the translators' initial ouputs is that I (probably) have a better reading background than the translator and that my translations are better researched through sources other than dictionaries and MT results. And I do know a diamond when I see one: give me more great translations and I'll be making fewer changesCollapse

Arabic & More
Laura Kingdon
Julia Burgess

Carlos A R de Souza
Carlos A R de Souza  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
There's always a conflict of interest. Jul 24, 2023

Suppose you have a colleague named Susan. Now, Susan is an EXCELLENT translator. When translating, she NEVER misses not even a comma. Her writing style is breathtaking, turning even garbage source text into masterpieces within the required field.

You are to proofread her. As expected, you don't find a single thing that can be improved – because everything IS perfect.

At some point, your client will ask: "why are you even here?"

Now, I gave an outrageous e
... See more
Suppose you have a colleague named Susan. Now, Susan is an EXCELLENT translator. When translating, she NEVER misses not even a comma. Her writing style is breathtaking, turning even garbage source text into masterpieces within the required field.

You are to proofread her. As expected, you don't find a single thing that can be improved – because everything IS perfect.

At some point, your client will ask: "why are you even here?"

Now, I gave an outrageous example to illustrate that there's a conflict of interest: if your colleague is so good you can only make a few changes, the client usually puts pressure on the proofreader, thinking they're lazy or incompetent. So, many proofreaders will change the text to justify their position.

Add the fact that translation pays double the proofreading rate. So, as Nikolay mentioned, some proofreaders may want to sabotage the job of the translators to keep the higher-paying job.

It's that simple.

Unfortunately, this negatively impacts the original translator, the source text, and has negative consequences for the agency and the direct client.

It's up to the client, translator and proofreader to reach a balance, so that we can try to reach a compromise and our best interests.

[Edited at 2023-07-24 13:29 GMT]
Collapse

Colin Smith
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:33
French to English
+ ...
Hatchet job Jul 26, 2023

I once did a routine legal/financial translation for a Paris law firm, via my usual Paris agency. I was rather surprised to have it sent back to me "revised by the client", with lots of changes, asking me what I thought of them.

The changes made were either non-English (replacing English idiom with a literal translation of the French text) or completely unnecessary, e.g. replacing "including, but not limited to" by "including, without limitation"... and so on. This person was not a
... See more
I once did a routine legal/financial translation for a Paris law firm, via my usual Paris agency. I was rather surprised to have it sent back to me "revised by the client", with lots of changes, asking me what I thought of them.

The changes made were either non-English (replacing English idiom with a literal translation of the French text) or completely unnecessary, e.g. replacing "including, but not limited to" by "including, without limitation"... and so on. This person was not a native speaker but clearly had a good command of legal English nevertheless.

I found the reviewer's name in the Word info, and found his LinkedIn profile. He was very young, early 20s, of North African rather than French heritage (which explains the above-average command of English), and had worked for in London for a year.

He obviously thought doing a hatchet job on my translation would win him brownie points. I sent it back with notes explaining why the first ten changes were wrong, and said I didn't have time to go through the whole document.

End of story.
Collapse

Tony Keily

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 17:33
Italian to English
+ ...
It's annoying Jul 28, 2023

He obviously thought doing a hatchet job on my translation would win him brownie points.

Had the same thing happen the other day. Not a hatchet job, but an email from some lower-order plodder alleging 'serious errors' in a 'crucial contract'. I had a quick look and found them to be, at best, cack-handed attempts at cosmetic reworkings, but more often just an unwillingness to use Google to decipher terms that might have looked exotic to the unschooled eye.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you feel some reviewers make changes to translations "just to change something"?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »