How to change the bullet color in a Word file (Office 2007)?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 09:46
Engels naar Chinees
Feb 26, 2013

Dear Word 2007 experts,

Can someone tell me how I can change the color of the bullets in a Word 2007 file from blue to green? The rest of the text needs to remain in blue. Only the bullets (the dots) need to change to green so that the file matches the formatting of the PDF source file.

Thank you.

Chun-yi

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Word help Feb 26, 2013

Change the font for bullets or numbers in a list

You can change the text formatting of bullets or numbers in a list without making changes to the text in the list. For example, you can format numbers or bullets with a different font color than the text in the list.

Click a bullet or number in a list.

All the bullets or numbers in the list are selected.

Selected list

On the Home tab, in the Font group, make the changes that
... See more
Change the font for bullets or numbers in a list

You can change the text formatting of bullets or numbers in a list without making changes to the text in the list. For example, you can format numbers or bullets with a different font color than the text in the list.

Click a bullet or number in a list.

All the bullets or numbers in the list are selected.

Selected list

On the Home tab, in the Font group, make the changes that you want.

Word Ribbon Image

For example, click the arrow next to Font Color, and then click the color that you want.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/word-help/change-the-color-size-or-format-of-bullets-or-numbers-in-a-list-HA010065021.aspx

Hope this helps!
johanna
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Verenigde Staten
Engels naar Chinees
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Post editing Feb 26, 2013

Hi Johanna,

Thank you for your quick help. The thing is, I already did everything in blue, including the bullets. Now I want to change the bullets to green. I am looking for a way to find all bullets in the file and change the color in one go. It seems I was only able to select a section at a time, not the entire document.

Chun-yi

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denemarken
Local time: 18:46
Deens naar Engels
+ ...
Define bullets Feb 26, 2013

Hi Chun-yi

I just tried this, and it worked:

Mark up the entire text.
Click on the arrow next to the Bullets in the Word Ribbon on the Home tab.
Choose Define new bullet.
Click Font.
Click Font color.
Choose your colour.

Et voilá, when you go back to your document, all bullets have changed to your chosen colour.

I never knew this was possible, such fun. ...
See more
Hi Chun-yi

Mark up the entire text.
Click Font.
Click Font color.
Choose your colour.

Et voilá, when you go back to your document, all bullets have changed to your chosen colour.

I never knew this was possible, such fun.

Gitte
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Verenigde Staten
Engels naar Chinees
ONDERWERPSTARTER
It added bullets to the non-bulleted text Feb 26, 2013

Hi Gitte,

By "marking up the entire text", did you mean "selecting the entire text"?

If so, then this method would add bullets in every line, including the lines that are not the bulleted items.

Maybe I misunderstood the meaning of "marking up the entire text"?

Following your instructions I did manage to change the color to the one I specified, so this part is good:)

Chun-yi

Gitte Hovedskov Hansen wrote:

Hi Chun-yi

Mark up the entire text.
Click Font.
Click Font color.
Choose your colour.

I never knew this was possible, such fun.

Gitte

564354352 (X)
Denemarken
Deens naar Engels
+ ...
Selecting entire text using Ctrl A Feb 26, 2013

Hi Chun-yi

By 'marking up' the text I meant use Ctrl A to select the entire text.

I'm not sure how you managed to get bullets for the un-bulleted text, as this didn't happen when I followed my own instructions. You shouldn't click the bullet icon, only the arrow next to the icon and then follow the instructions for changing the colour.

Gitte

OH DEAR!

I just tried
... See more
Hi Chun-yi

By 'marking up' the text I meant use Ctrl A to select the entire text.

I'm not sure how you managed to get bullets for the un-bulleted text, as this didn't happen when I followed my own instructions. You shouldn't click the bullet icon, only the arrow next to the icon and then follow the instructions for changing the colour.

Gitte

OH DEAR!

I just tried following my own instructions again, and this time I get bullets all over the place, too, sorry. Hmmm... Time to put my thinking cap on again.

[Edited at 2013-02-26 08:33 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Duitsland
Engels naar Duits
Last resort: a simple macro Feb 26, 2013

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

Dear Word 2007 experts,

Can someone tell me how I can change the color of the bullets in a Word 2007 file from blue to green?

If the document includes and uses paragraph style sheets with Bullet settings, you can just change the respective style(s).

Most documents do not use style sheets, though. Then you have to modify the document by brute force, e. g. with a macro like this:

Public Sub SetBulletColor()

Dim PGR As PARAGRAPH, COLOUR As WdColor

' !!!! Change the following Color Name according to your needs
' http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/
' microsoft.office.interop.word.wdcolor.aspx
COLOUR = wdColorGreen

For Each PGR In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
If (PGR.Range.ListFormat.ListType = wdListBullet) Then
PGR.Range.ListFormat.ListTemplate.ListLevels(1).Font.Color = _ COLOUR
End If
Next PGR

End Sub

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Engels naar Hongaars
This works for me Feb 26, 2013

Go to Home/Styles and click on the arrow to open Styles pane.
Click on a bulleted part of the text. In the styles list this style will be framed (at me: List Paragraph).
Click on the arrow in that frame and select ’Select All ( ) Instances’ from the drop-down menu.
Go over one of the highlighted (bulleted) area in the text, right click and select Bullets/Define New Bullets/Font and select the new font color, then click OK twice.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Verenigde Staten
Engels naar Chinees
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Styles+Define New Bullets worked! Feb 26, 2013

Hi Istvan and Gitte,

Thank you for all these tips! After I included the Styles component in the procedure, I was able to find all the bulleted sections in the file and changed the color of the bullets in one go following your instructions.

Istvan, are you using Word 2010 or 2007? The Styles settings seem to be a little different in 2007. I used Select Text with Similar Formatting in Styles to find all these bulleted sections. I got what I wanted, but it always seems
... See more
Hi Istvan and Gitte,

Thank you for all these tips! After I included the Styles component in the procedure, I was able to find all the bulleted sections in the file and changed the color of the bullets in one go following your instructions.

Istvan, are you using Word 2010 or 2007? The Styles settings seem to be a little different in 2007. I used Select Text with Similar Formatting in Styles to find all these bulleted sections. I got what I wanted, but it always seems to me the Styles features are easier to work with in the newer version (2010).

Thank you, Johanna, for your kind help as well. It's exciting to learn new tricks in Word, especially since I don't use Word very often except for preparing files to be imported to my CAT tools.

Thank you all!

Chun-yi

István Hirsch wrote:

Go to Home/Styles and click on the arrow to open Styles pane.
Click on a bulleted part of the text. In the styles list this style will be framed (at me: List Paragraph).
Click on the arrow in that frame and select ’Select All ( ) Instances’ from the drop-down menu.
Go over one of the highlighted (bulleted) area in the text, right click and select Bullets/Define New Bullets/Font and select the new font color, then click OK twice.
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Verenigde Staten
Engels naar Chinees
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Word Macro is beyond me Feb 26, 2013

Hi Rolf,

Thank you for your great suggestion, which I am sure advanced users will benefit from it.
But I never managed to figure out how to add a customized macro in Word:( I think your Multifultor is easier to learn than the macros.

Chun-yi

Rolf Keller wrote:

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

Dear Word 2007 experts,

Can someone tell me how I can change the color of the bullets in a Word 2007 file from blue to green?

If the document includes and uses paragraph style sheets with Bullet settings, you can just change the respective style(s).

Most documents do not use style sheets, though. Then you have to modify the document by brute force, e. g. with a macro like this:

Public Sub SetBulletColor()

Dim PGR As PARAGRAPH, COLOUR As WdColor

' !!!! Change the following Color Name according to your needs
' http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/
' microsoft.office.interop.word.wdcolor.aspx
COLOUR = wdColorGreen

For Each PGR In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
If (PGR.Range.ListFormat.ListType = wdListBullet) Then
PGR.Range.ListFormat.ListTemplate.ListLevels(1).Font.Color = _ COLOUR
End If
Next PGR

End Sub

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Engels naar Hongaars
Word 2007 Feb 26, 2013

I tried with Word 2007 what I suggested. Perhaps there are different builds within 2007.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Verenigde Staten
Engels naar Chinees
ONDERWERPSTARTER
It's reassuring to know Feb 27, 2013

Thank you for the information, Istvan. I have seen people do their demos on Word 2010 and was impressed with the Styles layout in that version. It's good to know that you can pretty much achieve the same results with Word 2007. I need to spend some more time on it and gives it its due credit.
Thanks again.

Chun-yi

István Hirsch wrote:

I tried with Word 2007 what I suggested. Perhaps there are different builds within 2007.

564354352 (X)
Denemarken
Deens naar Engels
+ ...
Thank you István Feb 27, 2013

Just wanted to add my thanks for this great tip.

marvpark
marvpark
India
Change Bullet color from Define New Bullet window Jun 19, 2013

By now you might have already solved this. But, I am writing this to help others. Start by clicking on the Bullets icon and from the dropdown click Define New Bullet. In this window, click Font and you should be able to change the bullet color, size and use text effects. This guide should help you Step-by-Step - How to change Bullet color and type

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change the bullet color in a Word file (Office 2007)?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »