De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 13:57
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
Feb 17, 2002

I have already done 7 InstantJobs, I have enjoyed doing them and I have always got paid.

However, I\'ve just started wondering whether the prices are fair. Whenever I do a translation of less than 200 words, either for an agency or a direct client, I charge a minimum fee of $ 20.00

Though the 7 instant jobs I have done through ProZ have paid 0.10/ word, they have often been smaller than 200 words. I recently did a 93 word job and I got paid $ 9.30.
... See more
I have already done 7 InstantJobs, I have enjoyed doing them and I have always got paid.

However, I\'ve just started wondering whether the prices are fair. Whenever I do a translation of less than 200 words, either for an agency or a direct client, I charge a minimum fee of $ 20.00

Though the 7 instant jobs I have done through ProZ have paid 0.10/ word, they have often been smaller than 200 words. I recently did a 93 word job and I got paid $ 9.30.

Should the guys that get their translations done through ProZ InstantJobs pay less than an agency or a direct client? Is that fair or should InstantJobs also charge a minimum fee?

I\'d like to hear your views.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:57
OPRICHTER SITE
InstantJobs has minimum fees...but they are low for a reason Feb 17, 2002

Bertha,

This is not a direct response to you. The following notes are an explanation for the community in general, as some people may be wondering the same things as you.

One reason to charge minimum fees is to cover non-translation related tasks. These include quoting, negotiation, billing, faxing, phone calls, etc. Minimum fees also help to offset some risks, such as the risk of non-payment, or the uncertainty of jobs when you can not see the material
... See more
Bertha,

This is not a direct response to you. The following notes are an explanation for the community in general, as some people may be wondering the same things as you.

One reason to charge minimum fees is to cover non-translation related tasks. These include quoting, negotiation, billing, faxing, phone calls, etc. Minimum fees also help to offset some risks, such as the risk of non-payment, or the uncertainty of jobs when you can not see the material in advance.

In InstantJobs, none of the above applies. There is no need to quote or bid, the prices are fixed so there is no negotiation, payment has already been received from clients and is guaranteed by ProZ.com--it is not even necessary to bill. Furthermore, all jobs can be reviewed in their entirety before acceptance, and payment is immediate upon completion. All a translator needs to do is the translation.

The only reason I can imagine to set a minimum given the above facts is to cover time spent in familiarizing yourself with a topic. However, this usually is not required in InstantJobs, which are typically of a very general nature.

So we set the minimums to $5 and $3, for translation and checking, respectively. Above that, payment is per word, typically $0.10/Wd and $0.03/wd, respectively. We believe these rates are fair, but if they are below your rates, just click \'decline\'. There is no negative repurcussion.

In one InstantJob, a person asked for translation of a few words written on a plate that belonged to her grandmother. If she called an agency, she might be asked for $100-$200. It is unlikely that she would spend that. InstantJobs gives an alternative to this type of client...so it is very important that we keep the minimums low.
Collapse

Dora O'Malley
Dora O'Malley  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 15:57
Lid 2003
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
Just to let you know Feb 25, 2002

Do you know that you can make more at a MacDonalds flipping hamburgers?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates and ProZ InstantJobs

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »