Anyone from Toronto that may recommend an inexpensive lodging option during the ATA conference?
Thread poster: Lorenia Rincon
Lorenia Rincon
Lorenia Rincon  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 4, 2004

Hello everybody!

I am interested in attending the 45th ATA Conference in Toronto during the month of October. Can anyone help me recommending inexpensive options for lodging during my stay? I will know next week for sure if I am going but I need to have all of the information ready since it will be a "scholarship" and they need to have all the info right away.

Thank you from Cancun, Mexico

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:10
English to German
+ ...
Check this site... Sep 5, 2004

www.hostels.com/ca.on.to.html
The site lists inexpensive Hostels, most of them located in the heart of downtown Toronto.
I used to live in Toronto (for 6 years,) and our little house was close to UofT and Kensington Market.
I can recommend the College Hostel (listed on the site above, and right at Kensington Market & Chinatown). A single room is CAN $ 49.00.
Good luck,
... See more
www.hostels.com/ca.on.to.html
The site lists inexpensive Hostels, most of them located in the heart of downtown Toronto.
I used to live in Toronto (for 6 years,) and our little house was close to UofT and Kensington Market.
I can recommend the College Hostel (listed on the site above, and right at Kensington Market & Chinatown). A single room is CAN $ 49.00.
Good luck,
johanna
Collapse

Lorenia Rincon
Lorenia Rincon  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks!!!! Sep 5, 2004

Thank you very much Joanna!

I am looking at the info right now and it is very useful,can you tell me if this College Hostel is far from: The Sheraton Centre,located at 123 Queen Street West, which is the site for the ATA Conference? do you know about cab fares? everything will be helpful to calculate expenses. Thanks a million.

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:10
English to German
+ ...
Some more info Sep 5, 2004

Hi again,
I'm glad you seem to like the hostel idea. When I travel by myself, I usually try to economize and stay in youth hostels - it's much more fun, and most of them have private rooms these days. Fancy hotels don't do it for me, I'd much rather spend my money in a bookstore!

From the College Street Hostel you can walk down to Queen Street West (definitely worth a stroll)and then hop onto a streetcar going East. I'm sure the Hostel can give you exact directions.It's been
... See more
Hi again,
I'm glad you seem to like the hostel idea. When I travel by myself, I usually try to economize and stay in youth hostels - it's much more fun, and most of them have private rooms these days. Fancy hotels don't do it for me, I'd much rather spend my money in a bookstore!

From the College Street Hostel you can walk down to Queen Street West (definitely worth a stroll)and then hop onto a streetcar going East. I'm sure the Hostel can give you exact directions.It's been a while since my last visit in TO, so I'm not too sure about cab fares. Please check out the other accommodations on the website- most of them include guest 'reviews' re. cleanliness, noise, security, etc.

I've found a map that allows you to enter your destination (i.e. Sheraton Hotel); that will give you a pretty good idea about distances within the city.
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/torontomaps/index.htm

A single adult fare for public transport (bus, streetcar, subway) is $ 2.25, a daypass $ 7.50.

Have fun,
johanna
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
downtown Sep 5, 2004

Lorenia, any hostel/hotel that's downtown (south of Bloor, east of Bay, west of Yonge) is pretty much near the ATA conference site. You could even walk since Queen W is smackgob in the center of downtown. Look for places on Bay, University, Richmond, Church, King West, Adelaide. I live about 10 blocks away from Queen W and I'm there in about 15 minutes if I walk at a fast pace. Remember that Toronto is built for the pedestrian. A taxi ride, however, from my place to Queen W (10 blocks) would cos... See more
Lorenia, any hostel/hotel that's downtown (south of Bloor, east of Bay, west of Yonge) is pretty much near the ATA conference site. You could even walk since Queen W is smackgob in the center of downtown. Look for places on Bay, University, Richmond, Church, King West, Adelaide. I live about 10 blocks away from Queen W and I'm there in about 15 minutes if I walk at a fast pace. Remember that Toronto is built for the pedestrian. A taxi ride, however, from my place to Queen W (10 blocks) would cost around C$7-10+tip depending on time of day.

Marcus

[Edited at 2004-09-05 05:42]
Collapse

PB Trans
PB Trans

Local time: 22:10
French to English
+ ...
Ride to/from Pearson airport Sep 5, 2004

Lorenia,

A taxi ride from Pearson Aiport to downtown Toronto will cost about $45.

Cheaper option here (bus): http://www.torontoairportexpress.com The bus goes directly to the Sheraton Centre.

Enjoy your stay!

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hotel location and transit information Sep 10, 2004

Here is the conference site location: http://tinyurl.com/4llhl

Here is the Toronto transit system: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/pdf/rideguide.pdf (You can enlarge the map in your pdf viewer.) The downtown area is in square N-13. Here is an
... See more
Here is the conference site location: http://tinyurl.com/4llhl

Here is the Toronto transit system: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/pdf/rideguide.pdf (You can enlarge the map in your pdf viewer.) The downtown area is in square N-13. Here is an index to transit schedules and route maps: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/schedules/index.htm There is an airport express bus running between the airport and Kipling subway station. It is called "192 Airport Rocket S" (select it at "2. Surface Route Maps & Schedules" at the left of the page to see the schedule.)

[Edited at 2004-09-10 16:53]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone from Toronto that may recommend an inexpensive lodging option during the ATA conference?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »