Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:24
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2005

When is it appropriate to decline KudoZ answers without giving any explanation? If the asker has found another answer elsewhere, is it unreasonable to expect the asker to inform the answerer of this fact (and hopefully provide the answer for the benefit of future askers)?

Background for this question.

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1095011?float=1

Only o
... See more
When is it appropriate to decline KudoZ answers without giving any explanation? If the asker has found another answer elsewhere, is it unreasonable to expect the asker to inform the answerer of this fact (and hopefully provide the answer for the benefit of future askers)?

Background for this question.

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1095011?float=1

Only one answer suggested (correct based on my own knowledge and provided references).

5 agrees

Some of the 'agrees' did make comments about how easy it would have been for the asker to find the answer, but this should be irrelevant to grading the question.

Michele Fauble
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:24
French to English
You've been caught in the crossfire Jul 21, 2005

There's a bit of a strop going on - see also
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1096215

Doesn't mean your point isn't valid, but I suspect that's the reason.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
petty spitefulness or vindictive behaviour has no place on a pro site Jul 21, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:

There's a bit of a strop going on - see also
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1096215

Doesn't mean your point isn't valid, but I suspect that's the reason.

Michele had nothing to do with that and declining a question out of spite would be the ultimate in non-professional conduct. Michele's point is valid and trying to bring 'personal' issues into the discussion isn't going to help matters. Some people do have irrational and/or vindictive behaviour but that's not the point here.
It's the same as those who 'close without grading' because 'answer found elsewhere' and then don't have the common courtesy to say WHAT they actually found. There is no justification for such rude, inconsiderate and unprofessional behaviour. Disputes should fought out(and hopefully resolved) behind the scenes and the conduct on the site should remain professional and, dare I say it, adult.

[Edited at 2005-07-21 11:46]

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
French to English
+ ...
I agree Jul 21, 2005

I agree completely.

I know exactly what question Michele is refering to, as I made a comment about the peer comments that were being made. I felt they were really uncalled for - peer comments are for commenting on the *linguistic* quality of an answer, not to make snide remarks to the asker or answerer for that matter.

On the other hand, Michele had absolutely nothing to with that - all she did was generously answer a question (and with a good answer to boot).
... See more
I agree completely.

I know exactly what question Michele is refering to, as I made a comment about the peer comments that were being made. I felt they were really uncalled for - peer comments are for commenting on the *linguistic* quality of an answer, not to make snide remarks to the asker or answerer for that matter.

On the other hand, Michele had absolutely nothing to with that - all she did was generously answer a question (and with a good answer to boot).

I love Kudoz because it is a truly great place to learn, receive help and help others, and generally have fun with colleagues. It saddens me to see it turned into a battleground.
Collapse

António Ribeiro
António Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...
NEVER Jul 21, 2005

writeaway wrote:

There is no justification for such rude, inconsiderate and unprofessional behaviour.

This is my opinion.

António Ribeiro
Australia

paula arturo
paula arturo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sooooo wrong on so many levels.... Jul 21, 2005

writeaway wrote:

It's the same as those who 'close without grading' because 'answer found elsewhere' and then don't have the common courtesy to say WHAT they actually found. There is no justification for such rude, inconsiderate and unprofessional behaviour. Disputes should fought out(and hopefully resolved) behind the scenes and the conduct on the site should remain professional and, dare I say it, adult.

[Edited at 2005-07-21 11:46]

That kind of behavior is so wrong on so many levels. I mean, we're supposed to be grown-ups! Kudoz questions are about helping each other out not bringing people down.
Paula

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
It's all about image... Jul 21, 2005

Beyond anythying the site could/should do about this type of behavior, just think of the image that those types of comments project to clients who might peruse the site, visit your profile, and be led to the Kudoz questions you've answered...You know what they say about people who have no sense of professionalism: Just give them enough rope and eventually they'll hang themselves.

Unfortunately, it also reflects badly on the site as a whole (and its members) to see that sort of thin
... See more
Beyond anythying the site could/should do about this type of behavior, just think of the image that those types of comments project to clients who might peruse the site, visit your profile, and be led to the Kudoz questions you've answered...You know what they say about people who have no sense of professionalism: Just give them enough rope and eventually they'll hang themselves.

Unfortunately, it also reflects badly on the site as a whole (and its members) to see that sort of thing.

Michelle, I understand your frustration. I used to participate regularly in the FR-EN Kudoz pair for "fun." Due to ongoing feuds, rude and unprofessional personal comments, and "bullying," I just stopped. None of these comments were ever directed at me personally, but seeing people generally just trying to help others get shot down again and again with a blatant lack of manners and basic tact quickly took the pleasure out of it for me.

Now if I *really* need to ask a question, I do, and then I try to return the favor by answering a few in turn.

So don't worry about it too much or take it personally, Michelle. You stayed above the fray and maintained your professionalism, so no harm done to you. But maybe we should *all* be worried about the image we are projecting as a profession before making any kind of comments on the site.

Regards,

Sara
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
We miss you, Sara! Jul 21, 2005

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

... I used to participate regularly in the FR-EN Kudoz pair for "fun." Due to ongoing feuds, rude and unprofessional personal comments, and "bullying," I just stopped. None of these comments were ever directed at me personally, but seeing people generally just trying to help others get shot down again and again with a blatant lack of manners and basic tact quickly took the pleasure out of it for me...

Believe me, I do understand your feelings, Sara, and indeed, often feel the same way myself; but I just wanted to say thwt your contributions are sadly missed by those amongst us who appreciate the cooperative spirit of KudoZ.

Let's all just try to be more tolerant and forgiving of each others individual style, and occasional lapses (goodness knows, we all have them, don't we?), and let's also try not to be so sensitive and to bristle at the slightest thing --- we should take everything in a spirit as if it was well-intentioned, at least until proven otherwise!

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
This type of question should be directed to the moderator(s) for this language pair Jul 21, 2005

Michele Fauble wrote:

This is just my opinion, but I believe that it is much more appropriate to refer questions of this sort to the moderator or moderators for the language pair in question, rather than to start a thread on these forums - particularly if you are going to post a link here to a specific question. I have communicated before with each moderator for the French to English questions, and I am sure if you contact them you will find them both to be pleasant and fair, whether or not you would agree with what they decide regarding the issue. Also I would say that they do need to know these things. Again, just my opinion.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Sara, I'm with Dusty Jul 21, 2005

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

I used to participate regularly in the FR-EN Kudoz pair for "fun." Due to ongoing feuds, rude and unprofessional personal comments, and "bullying," I just stopped. None of these comments were ever directed at me personally, but seeing people generally just trying to help others get shot down again and again with a blatant lack of manners and basic tact quickly took the pleasure out of it for me.

Now if I *really* need to ask a question, I do, and then I try to return the favor by answering a few in turn.

Sara, I hope that you will decide to participate again on a regular basis, but if not, then I'm glad that you still stop in and participate sometimes.

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Please accept my apologies Jul 21, 2005

I just wanted to apologize again to Michele for what happened.

I realize now that I really should have contacted a moderator regarding my concerns about this question rather than post them. I guess I had just seen enough wipes taken at others in the past while in the FR-EN pair that it was the "proverbial straw".
I have been with Proz a little less than a year and am having great fun with Kudoz and hate to see it turn into a personal battleground.

So I've learned
... See more
I just wanted to apologize again to Michele for what happened.

I realize now that I really should have contacted a moderator regarding my concerns about this question rather than post them. I guess I had just seen enough wipes taken at others in the past while in the FR-EN pair that it was the "proverbial straw".
I have been with Proz a little less than a year and am having great fun with Kudoz and hate to see it turn into a personal battleground.

So I've learned from this, please accept my sincere apologies, and let's make Kudoz the fun and informative place it is supposed to be so that Sara and others will want to continue participating in it.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Question still stands Jul 21, 2005

There was no need to contact a moderator about my answer being declined. As the rules stand, the asker can decline an answer with no comment.

My question was:

"When is it appropriate to decline KudoZ answers without giving any explanation? If the asker has found another answer elsewhere, is it unreasonable to expect the asker to inform the answerer of this fact (and hopefully provide the answer for the benefit of future askers)?"

This question still st
... See more
There was no need to contact a moderator about my answer being declined. As the rules stand, the asker can decline an answer with no comment.

My question was:

"When is it appropriate to decline KudoZ answers without giving any explanation? If the asker has found another answer elsewhere, is it unreasonable to expect the asker to inform the answerer of this fact (and hopefully provide the answer for the benefit of future askers)?"

This question still stands.

KudoZ questions and answers are a resource for future askers. On several occasions I have seen askers decline all answers (or just close the question) with no explanation, or with the simple comment that the answer was found elsewhere.

Perhaps the rules should be changed to require askers to give a reason for declining all answers, and to make known the answer that was found elsewhere.

Michele Fauble
Collapse

Michele Fauble
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No apologies needed Jul 21, 2005

No need to apologize, Mara. I thought your comment on the peer comments was warranted.

Michele

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Why was there "no need" to contact a moderator? Jul 21, 2005

Michele Fauble wrote:

I understand that, but since this was an INDIVIDUAL situation, one which you referenced with a link to that question (I personally find that in poor taste), the most appropriate course of action would have been to refer this issue to a moderator.

And if you know that the rules permit an asker to decline an answer with no comment, then why would you start a thread here asking when it's ok, and give a link to an individual question? Why wouldn't you at least speak in general terms and make the suggestion you just made? I think that perhaps would have been a much more constructive way to approach this.

Again, if you are asking something in general, then sure, I can see starting a thread - but if you're asking something based on one particular incident, which this was, then it is inappropriate to start a thread, and especially to post a link to that individual question. Questions on individual situations are what the moderators are there to handle.

I could be wrong and this could just be my opinion, but if so then I would like either A MODERATOR or a SITE STAFF MEMBER to respond to let me know that. Thanks.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Comment just about one point: Jul 22, 2005

gad wrote:
I understand that, but since this was an INDIVIDUAL situation, one which you referenced with a link to that question (I personally find that in poor taste), the most appropriate course of action would have been to refer this issue to a moderator.

Hi gad

I recently discussed with the other moderators allowing links to questions in forums, because I think that in 90% of the cases it leads to personal discussions (and attacks), which are forbidden.
I had to admit that my position is not shared by the majority and I was given examples of situations in which links to questions are helpful.

So, you got an opinion by a moderator but we all might have different views.

Claudia

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Declining all KudoZ answers with no comment

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »