Quote:

2003-05-21 08:15 Steffen Walter wrote:

...snip...

What if we introduced additional info as follows:

English>German

Tech/Engineering

Answers given: 229

Answers chosen as most helpful: X

Ratio answers chosen/answers given: Y (e.g. 0.39, or 39%)

This should tell outsourcers a bit more about members\' ex... See more
Quote:

2003-05-21 08:15 Steffen Walter wrote:

...snip...

What if we introduced additional info as follows:

English>German

Tech/Engineering

Answers given: 229

Answers chosen as most helpful: X

Ratio answers chosen/answers given: Y (e.g. 0.39, or 39%)

This should tell outsourcers a bit more about members\' expertise and quality standards even *before* randomly checking individual answers given.

Any thoughts and comments most welcome,

Steffen

I totally agree with Steffen.

The KudoZ points are not very meaningful if they are not compared to the number of anwers provided.

It is true that some right answers are not choosen, or that many guesses are awarded, but, in the long term, quality prevails.

In other words, make visible how the points are obtained.

400 KudoZ points made answering 1000 dictionary questions (Easy section) have a different meaning compared to the same 400 points obtained answering only difficult questions and getting them right 75% of times.

The numbers show for themselves that a member is being really competent and helpful to the colleagues and not just randomly guessing to accumulate points!

A direct consequence of this change would be an incentive towards providing quality answers, and curbing on wild or misleading guesses.

I suggest to keep the profile more or less as it is now, perhaps adding a general global index (ratio total answers/total point in % format) but provide a link to a inner page, where more details are shown, such as separate ratios per each language pair or separate ratio per each subject.

And finally, as a final touch, in the page containing all ratios and details, show separately answers and points obtained in the Easy and Pro sections.

They are stored and it should be technically possible to show the totals separately.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-05-21 08:48] ▲ Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 18:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
agree with Gianfranco and Steffen 100% May 21, 2003

I, too, think that HOW a person\'s KudoZ points are obtained is a very revealing bit of information, and one that many askers don\'t think to look at. Some people have racked up incredible numbers of points by being Johnny-on-the-spot and pouncing on every single question that\'s posted (so what if they really don\'t have a clue, as long as they\'re first—if you throw enough garbage at that wall, you never know what might stick!) or by answering endless easy-level questions (often whole strin... See more
I, too, think that HOW a person\'s KudoZ points are obtained is a very revealing bit of information, and one that many askers don\'t think to look at. Some people have racked up incredible numbers of points by being Johnny-on-the-spot and pouncing on every single question that\'s posted (so what if they really don\'t have a clue, as long as they\'re first—if you throw enough garbage at that wall, you never know what might stick!) or by answering endless easy-level questions (often whole strings from the same person--kids doing homework, a would-be Romeo who doesn\'t speak Juliet\'s language, etc., etc.). It has always irked me that no distinction is made between giving an answer for \"how are you?\" and one for \"unbundled local loops,\" for example.

Also, I can\'t remember where I first saw it suggested, but I strongly agree that any notes added to an answer should bump it back to last place in the list. That might put a curb on some of the people who give an answer, then go back and add references or (worse yet) keep tinkering with their answer based on what other people have said later (I saw the latter just the other day in an answer to a question I had posted).

In any case, I think the initiative to raise the general level of professionalism in the KudoZ questions is long overdue, and I\'m happy to see it\'s finally going to happen.
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
A wash list May 21, 2003

2003-05-21 08:34 gianfranco wrote:

And finally, as a final touch, in the page containing all ratios and details, show separately answers and points obtained in the Easy and Pro sections.

They are stored and it should be technically possible to show the totals separately.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-05-21 08:48]

I agree with Gianfranco in relation to the above. This would be relevant.

Dyran wrote:

b) Prevent moderators from participating in KudoZ. Why only a few seem to see a conflict of interests with the present setup is quite an enigma.

I think Dyran\'s point is very valid especially the reasons she gives in her second message.

Personally, I have stopped trying to answer questions when a moderator has answered. Just wasting my time since I don\'t even think the asker bothers reading it. Also, when I haven\'t answered and others have in combination with a moderator, the moderator is usually awarded the points, even when the other answers have a long list of agrees.

I think Dyran is very brave in mentioning this issue. I haven\'t in the past because it sounds like sour grapes but I would like to make it absolutely clear that that is not the case. Whether I get points or not leaves me completely cold. I just like to help and learn. It does not influence the jobs I get since I rarely get work through the ProZ.com website (2 jobs in all the years I have been a member).

Marijke Mayer wrote:

Occasionally I pose questions myself and then am unpleasantly surprised to see people just shooting back any old answer just to be first. Some people have managed to get to the KudoZ top this way. For this reason I feel that a question cannot be answered unless the box containing at least one quote has been filled.

I would go even further: make it a condition that at least XX number of words/characters are entered in the Explanation box. Those answering would thus have to also give the context for their suggested translation. Usually when I ask a question, I already know more or less what the answer should be. I want someone to convince me that a given translation is the right one. Just adding \'experience\' or the term on its own is not really enough.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Please substantiate your statement, Marijke May 21, 2003

Hello Marijke,

Personally, I have stopped trying to answer questions when a moderator has answered. Just wasting my time since I don\'t even think the asker bothers reading it. Also, when I haven\'t answered and others have in combination with a moderator, the moderator is usually awarded the points, even when the other answers have a long list of agrees.

Could you try and underpin your statement \"...the moderator is *usually* (!) awarded the points...\" by some specific examples (* and ! added by me)? As it stands now, we wouldn\'t be able at all to verify how frequently such cases occur. Aside from that, I\'ve never realised that this was an issue *in my language pairs*.

I would go even further: make it a condition that at least XX number of words/characters are entered in the Explanation box. Those answering would thus have to also give the context for their suggested translation. Usually when I ask a question, I already know more or less what the answer should be. I want someone to convince me that a given translation is the right one. Just adding \'experience\' or the term on its own is not really enough.

Entirely agree here - askers and answerers alike should be prompted to enter a set minimum of context resp. explanations.

Steffen

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:49
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thread was to announce KudoZ Quality Campaign - details to follow, issue by issue May 21, 2003

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback in this thread.

The KudoZ improvements we have planned--plus the ones that will be introduced as we move forward--will take months. Because there are so many issues to address, it is important (for me as a developer) to have one issue brought up at a time, with each being discussed in turn.

My purpose in this thread was to announce the KudoZ Quality Campaign and invite all to take part. At this point, I will close this
... See more
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback in this thread.

The KudoZ improvements we have planned--plus the ones that will be introduced as we move forward--will take months. Because there are so many issues to address, it is important (for me as a developer) to have one issue brought up at a time, with each being discussed in turn.

My purpose in this thread was to announce the KudoZ Quality Campaign and invite all to take part. At this point, I will close this thread. Several pertinent debates have been raised--but can we shelve those discussions until their turn?

I will make a separate posting related to the first issue to be addressed: design and convenience changes. Thanks!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ and the Quality Campaign: please join us in making KudoZ better

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »