Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:27
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
KudoZ should be the last resort May 13, 2003

I was going to stay out of the fray, but there was something in your post, Ron, that does bother me - you asked why you should spend hours googling or looking in dictionaries when you could ask a KudoZ question. Why indeed. However, by asking a KudoZ question, you are asking others to take time out of their busy schedules to answer (especially when the answer can be easily verified in a dictionary). So you are saving yourself time at the expense of others - I take it then that your time is more ... See more
I was going to stay out of the fray, but there was something in your post, Ron, that does bother me - you asked why you should spend hours googling or looking in dictionaries when you could ask a KudoZ question. Why indeed. However, by asking a KudoZ question, you are asking others to take time out of their busy schedules to answer (especially when the answer can be easily verified in a dictionary). So you are saving yourself time at the expense of others - I take it then that your time is more valuable than theirs?

I agree with Kim that KudoZ should be the last resort, after you have exhausted the 8 dictionaries that you own, googled all over the place, looked at various online dictionaries, etc., etc. And yes, if it takes you 60 hours to do a 15-hour job, so be it. You stated yourself that you are starting out. It does take time to learn. And if you are not willing to put in that time, I personally think you\'ll never achieve your goals. (Have you ever heard the German expression \"sein Lehrgeld zahlen\"? Think of the extra time spent on research as your Lehrgeld.)

Personally, I use KudoZ as the very last resort, after I\'ve searched high and low and googled all over creation. But then again, maybe I\'m just afraid that others might think I\'m stupid. But I guess not everyone is as insecure as I am.

[ This Message was edited by: uel on 2003-05-13 23:05]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:27
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Re: KudoZ should be the last resort May 13, 2003

indeed.

I don\'t like to set myself as an example, but I have no others.

I represent an Agency and I ask question in ProZ only when our translators have tried all other available resources to no avail.

I have no such info available, but sure Henry has- maybe he can, just as an example, say here how many questions I have asked and how many answered? I\'m not in any approximation a KudoZ leader, in fact very near the bottom; therefore such stats would be
... See more
indeed.

I don\'t like to set myself as an example, but I have no others.

I represent an Agency and I ask question in ProZ only when our translators have tried all other available resources to no avail.

I have no such info available, but sure Henry has- maybe he can, just as an example, say here how many questions I have asked and how many answered? I\'m not in any approximation a KudoZ leader, in fact very near the bottom; therefore such stats would be all the more interesting...

[addsig]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:27
SITE FOUNDER
Closing the thread May 14, 2003

I have been asked to comment, so I will in closing. Let\'s be positive with each other and assume the best. I welcome Kim\'s apology, and Ron\'s acknowledgement (albeit begrudging) of a sense of reciprocity.

By the way, our new massively parallel Internet Search option ([KudoZ > Internet Search] in the new design) makes thorough research of terms more convenient than ever. No one s
... See more
I have been asked to comment, so I will in closing. Let\'s be positive with each other and assume the best. I welcome Kim\'s apology, and Ron\'s acknowledgement (albeit begrudging) of a sense of reciprocity.

By the way, our new massively parallel Internet Search option ([KudoZ > Internet Search] in the new design) makes thorough research of terms more convenient than ever. No one should ever use the excuse \"I did not have time to look up the term\"!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What if a moderator is out of line?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »