BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 9, 2003

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to upload certain images (bullets, icons) to my ProZ webpage. Mainly I have followed GIangranco Manca's tutorial; which has been very helpful. However, I find that some of the HTML commands don't work as they should. For example, to make smaller text the code listed is:

words in smaller font

When I copy the code and paste it on my page it makes the fonts bigger instead of smaller.

A
... See more
Hello everyone,

I've been trying to upload certain images (bullets, icons) to my ProZ webpage. Mainly I have followed GIangranco Manca's tutorial; which has been very helpful. However, I find that some of the HTML commands don't work as they should. For example, to make smaller text the code listed is:

words in smaller font

When I copy the code and paste it on my page it makes the fonts bigger instead of smaller.

Also, for uploading graphics the instructions are as follows:

"Upload pictures and documents onto your home page area. You can access it
from the link "Edit your site" (available on the left bottom corner of your
ProZ profile page)
. Familiarize yourself with the functions available there
(i.e., create folders, upload files, etc...)"

I must be blind because I don't see those features on my page.

I thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions you may have.

Regards,
Belkis
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:08
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Check your profile in edit mode Jul 9, 2003

Hi,
You need to switch into the 'edit mode' on your profile (on the top of the page) and then you will see the 'Edit your site' link (on the bottom left hand side).

As concerns fonts, that is fonts, it indeed doesn't work as it should. ;(

HTH
Magda

[Edited at 2003-07-09 19:31]

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope, it's not there Jul 9, 2003

[quote]Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Hi,
You need to switch into the 'edit mode' on your profile (on the top of the page) and then you will see the 'Edit your site' link (on the bottom left hand side).

As concerns fonts, that is fonts, it indeed doesn't work as it should. ;(

HTH
Magda

Hi Magda,

Thank you for your response. This is what I get when I click the "Edit profile" link at the top of the page:

Default language: English [Change]
Edit personal data
Edit email preferences
Edit instant messengers data
Remove profile from database

AND
Edit your profile

When I click this last link (which by the way is on the top center of the page and not on the bottom left hand side) I do get the areas to edit my profile, but I have not been able to insert any images or icons whatsoer.

By the way, I did find a code in another page which does work for the fonts, is it:

http://www.funky-chickens.com/fonts2.html

In case anyone wishes to give it a try.

Regards,
Belkis

[Edited at 2003-07-09 23:29]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Scroll down Jul 9, 2003

Hi Belkis,
Hi Magda,

Thank you for your response. This is what I get when I click the "Edit profile" link at the top of the page:

Default language: English [Change]
Edit personal data
Edit email preferences
Edit instant messengers data
Remove profile from database

AND
Edit your profile

When I click this last link (which by the way is on the top center of the page and not on the bottom left hand side) I do get the areas to edit my profile, but I have not been able to insert any images or icons whatsoer.

Scroll down from there: you'll find four sections (Upload Resume, Upload photo or image, Upload video, Upload audio).

HTH, Ralf

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more question Jul 9, 2003

Hi Ralph,

I have seen the sections you mentioned, however, can we upload a graphic image or icon without it replacing the image I chose (in this case books) to identify myself?

Thanks and regards,
Belkis

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Look after "Software" Jul 10, 2003

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

[Edited at 2003-07-09 19:31]

Magda is right. You should look closely at the section somewhere between the software you have listed and your web-site (glossaries and teams in the way).

HTH

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not 100% sure Jul 10, 2003

Belkis Díaz-Vidaillet wrote:

Hi Ralph,

I have seen the sections you mentioned, however, can we upload a graphic image or icon without it replacing the image I chose (in this case books) to identify myself?

Thanks and regards,
Belkis

TBH I'm not sure, but the fact that there is a checkbox "Delete current image" would indicate to me that it's possible to upload an additional one.

Sorry I can't be more specific on this one - Ralf

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Miscommunication Jul 10, 2003

[Edited at 2003-07-09 19:31][/quote]

Magda is right. You should look closely at the section somewhere between the software you have listed and your web-site (glossaries and teams in the way).

HTH[/quote]

Sorry everyone, I did not mean my ProZ page but rather my profile.

Belkis

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Graphics Jul 10, 2003

In order to be able to show some graphics on your profile PAGE, you should first upload the images to your Proz.com SITE. After you do so, note down their addresses/locations at your site (e.g. http://www.proz.com/home/12345/myimage.gif) because you'll need them when you enter HTML codes in your profile page (as described by Gianfranco).

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 10, 2003

Thank you for your help Vesna, let's hope I mess up again. LOL

Regards,
Belkis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Why can't I just drag and drop images into my profile? Oct 15, 2012

Vesna Zivcic wrote:

In order to be able to show some graphics on your profile PAGE, you should first upload the images to your Proz.com SITE. After you do so, note down their addresses/locations at your site (e.g. http://www.proz.com/home/12345/myimage.gif) because you'll need them when you enter HTML codes in your profile page (as described by Gianfranco).

That seems very complicated. Why can't I just drag and drop images into my profile?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It's not as bad as it sounds! Oct 15, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

That seems very complicated.

I'm afraid it's a function of the fairly rudimentary interface we have here, but is very much in line with the way other websites work; think of facebook, for example, where you have to upload photos (albeit, you are unaware of their literal addresses) before you can 'publish' them on your profile page.

However, in actual practice it's not nearly so hard as it sounds; once you have mastered the hosting control panel, at least well enough to upload files to it (and find them again!), it's then a fairly simple matter to just copy and paste the «image» links into your profile, simply modifying the image filename each time as necessary. I usually try to upload a batch of images, giving them 'meaningful' names to make them easier to spot later, and then go to an editing session to insert the links in the right places in my profile.

Take a look at my own profile, if you wish, and then if you'd like me to, I can e-mail you the raw code for the pages so you can see how it works.

Alternatively, liaise with me privately and I can set it all up for you on your behalf.

[Edited at 2012-10-15 13:23 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Tony, but.... Oct 15, 2012

Tony M wrote:

........once you have mastered the hosting control panel

where's that?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hosting control panel Oct 15, 2012

YourName at top of screen > click for pull-down >

My ProZ.com Hosting Account
Domain: YourName.my.proz.com
Package: Standard
Username: *****
Mail server: mail.YourName.my.proz.com
FTP server: ftp.YourName.my.proz.com
[Control panel] [Web site] [Webmail]
[ProZ.com SiteCreator™]

The [Control panel] is a hot link.

Do n
... See more
YourName at top of screen > click for pull-down >

My ProZ.com Hosting Account
Domain: YourName.my.proz.com
Package: Standard
Username: *****
Mail server: mail.YourName.my.proz.com
FTP server: ftp.YourName.my.proz.com
[Control panel] [Web site] [Webmail]
[ProZ.com SiteCreator™]

The [Control panel] is a hot link.

Do note, however, that you will have to set up hosting first (I'm assuming you are a paying member, which is what gives you the right to the hosting service)

Just below the above stuff, there is a panel with FAQs ans a getting started guide.

If you don't want to go to all the trouble (you don't actually have to create a web page if you don' want to, just set up the hosting so you can use it to store stuff there), then you can store your images anywhere else you like on the Internet (image hosting services like Flickr, Picasa, etc.) and just use the URL of your image from there to paste into your profile.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
OK I've created a domain Oct 15, 2012

Thanks Tony - this is very helpful.

I've created a domain as per your instructions.

I'm busy at the moment but when I get time, I'll proceed with the next steps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Uploading graphics to my ProZ page

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »