Thread poster: Doerte2101
Doerte2101
Doerte2101
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:28
English to German
Jul 10, 2013

Dear fellow translators,

I am a student at City University London and I am currently writing my dissertation on “Is coworking the future for translators?” for the MA Translating Popular Culture.

As my dissertation is researched based, you would do me a great favour if you took 10 minutes to fill in my questionnaire (l
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

I am a student at City University London and I am currently writing my dissertation on “Is coworking the future for translators?” for the MA Translating Popular Culture.

As my dissertation is researched based, you would do me a great favour if you took 10 minutes to fill in my questionnaire (link below).

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WVRS3PR

Thank you very much for your support.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:28
English to Polish
+ ...
Nice survey Jul 10, 2013

Nice survey there.

Actually, the law knows the idea of coworking to some extent. Professional partnership is a type of company (a type of partnership, not corporation, obviously) in which the partners do as they please on their own, but they share administration and sometimes some other things. They don't necessarily all need to be in the same profession but e.g. a related one (e.g. GP, nurse, dentist).

Co-working is a good way to have such an informal partnership in pl
... See more
Nice survey there.

Actually, the law knows the idea of coworking to some extent. Professional partnership is a type of company (a type of partnership, not corporation, obviously) in which the partners do as they please on their own, but they share administration and sometimes some other things. They don't necessarily all need to be in the same profession but e.g. a related one (e.g. GP, nurse, dentist).

Co-working is a good way to have such an informal partnership in place, but one could also give it a degree of formality and actually register a company. Say, for example, a translation agency that is owned and manned by translators, where PMs are employed by translators. I would be very much into that type of thing. I'd love to have a PM that works for me rather than for someone whose interests to some extent conflict with my own, at least in terms of profit distribution and perhaps liability allocation.
Collapse

Doerte2101
Doerte2101
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 10, 2013

Hi Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz,

Thank you for completing my survey. Your point about law translation is really interesting.

To my mind, however, it is a strenght of coworking that there are all these other professions around. It enables people to expand their network beyond the translator circle. This might entail a lot of interesting opportunities (learning, collaboration, etc.).

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:28
Russian to English
+ ...
I would personally never translate a word Jul 11, 2013

in a shared space environment. I get too distracted. Sometimes also night is the best time for me to work. People are different, however.

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
A question on question 5... Jul 11, 2013

"At which of these places do you work frequently?"

It's a survey on co-working and I can't see a co-working space as an option here. Is that intentional? I work from a co-working space so I can't answer this question at the moment.

Doerte2101
Doerte2101
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Good point... Jul 11, 2013

Hi Richard,

That is a very good point. I guess it just did not come to me to put the answer option there because so many translators that I have talked to are not really convinced of the concept.

However, as you are obviously one of the few with first hand experience, I have another survey for "translating coworkers". It is a bit longer and contains more open questions but if you have about 20 minutes to spare I would be extremely grateful if you shared some of your e
... See more
Hi Richard,

That is a very good point. I guess it just did not come to me to put the answer option there because so many translators that I have talked to are not really convinced of the concept.

However, as you are obviously one of the few with first hand experience, I have another survey for "translating coworkers". It is a bit longer and contains more open questions but if you have about 20 minutes to spare I would be extremely grateful if you shared some of your experience:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GJSGL3Z

If you don't want to fill the answers in but would be willing to share your knowledge we could also have a chat via Skype at the beginning of August.

Just tell me if you have the time. I would appreciate it.
Collapse

Richard Foulkes (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Problem at Q13-14 Jul 12, 2013

Hi. I've completed all the questions so far but the survey won't move to the next page. When I click 'Next', an error message appears between Q13 and 14 saying 'Bitte geben Sie eine positive Zahl ein.' This message doesn't seem to make any sense in relation to Q13 or 14!

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Survey Jul 12, 2013

Done, no problem, but did not understand the question where we had to input the currency. Well done for the survey

Doerte2101
Doerte2101
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 12, 2013

@ Richard: Thank you very much for doing a second survey! I will look into that mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. Have a nice weekend.

@ Josephine: Thank you very much. That question just asked (additionally) for which currency you usually use, as that makes a difference concerning the prices above. Have a nice weekend.

Richard Foulkes (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
No problem Jul 15, 2013

[quote]Doerte2101 wrote:

@ Richard: Thank you very much for doing a second survey! I will look into that mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. Have a nice weekend.

I didn't actually complete either survey though because I couldn't get past the problems mentioned. Feel free to e-mail/PM me if/when you resolve the problem on the second survey of if you just want to e-mail me the questions.

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Done (I like it) Jul 17, 2013

I like coworking opportunities.

Thank you for the interesting survey!

Doerte2101
Doerte2101
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 22, 2013

Susanna Martoni wrote:

I like coworking opportunities.

Thank you for the interesting survey!

Thank you Susanna. Great that you liked it.

Also I'd like to thank all the others who took part so far. I'm very happy about it.

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I cannot do it as I am past 60 what is forbidden in question 1 Aug 11, 2013

or other

Doerte2101
Doerte2101
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@ Paweł Hamerski Aug 12, 2013

Paweł Hamerski wrote:

or other

Hallo Pawel Hamerski,

You can either skip the question or use the 50-60 option.

Have a nice day.
Dörte

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Also Aug 12, 2013

Doerte2101 wrote:

Hi Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz,

Thank you for completing my survey. Your point about law translation is really interesting.

To my mind, however, it is a strenght of coworking that there are all these other professions around. It enables people to expand their network beyond the translator circle. This might entail a lot of interesting opportunities (learning, collaboration, etc.).

Yup, also, you guys could do some networking for each other, as in informal representation when it comes to meeting potential clients and referrals. Since y'all operate in different sectors if not markets, the network could grow quite spacious.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey for dissertation on coworking

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »