Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:10
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 8, 2023

Today I went to the local Apple store and asked what if the SSD of my 2019 iMac bites the dust?
Answer: The SSD is soldered on the motherboard, Apple store does no repair, you have to find a repair shop. Huh!?!
Before this ever happens I think the best solution is to clone the internal Macintosh SSD to an external SSD and, should the internal SSD bite the dust one day, to boot from the external SSD.
SuperDuper makes perfectly working Monterey clones (no incremental updates, tho
... See more
Today I went to the local Apple store and asked what if the SSD of my 2019 iMac bites the dust?
Answer: The SSD is soldered on the motherboard, Apple store does no repair, you have to find a repair shop. Huh!?!
Before this ever happens I think the best solution is to clone the internal Macintosh SSD to an external SSD and, should the internal SSD bite the dust one day, to boot from the external SSD.
SuperDuper makes perfectly working Monterey clones (no incremental updates, though, you always have to clone the entire SSD, regularly, of course).
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:10
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not any more Feb 8, 2023

Wolfgang wrote:

.... I think the best solution is to clone the internal Macintosh SSD to an external SSD and, should the internal SSD bite the dust one day, to boot from the external SSD.

Alas, cloning is no longer an option with the new M1/M2 Macs

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
SmartUpdate Feb 9, 2023

Wolfgang wrote:

SuperDuper makes perfectly working Monterey clones (no incremental updates, though, you always have to clone the entire SSD, regularly, of course).

Isn’t that what SmartUpdate is for?

[Edited at 2023-02-09 12:06 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Apple Silicon Feb 9, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Alas, cloning is no longer an option with the new M1/M2 Macs

They say:

Version 3.7.2 supports bootable backups for Big Sur, Monterey, and Ventura, is Apple silicon native

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Studio or Mini Feb 9, 2023

Wolfgang wrote:

Answer: The SSD is soldered on the motherboard, Apple store does no repair, you have to find a repair shop. Huh!?

In case I’ll have to replace my iMac, I’ll go for a Mac and an external screen, very likely from another manufacturer. No iMac for me anymore.

Wolfgang Schoene

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
For the technicalities, see here Feb 9, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

Answer: The SSD is soldered on the motherboard, Apple store does no repair, you have to find a repair shop. Huh!?

In case I’ll have to replace my iMac, I’ll go for a Mac and an external screen, very likely from another manufacturer. No iMac for me anymore.

Here's a very good explanation by the excellent Mike Bombich as to why (because of decisions taken by Apple) you can no longer *reliably* clone a Mac hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner, or boot from it :

https://tinyurl.com/yzol4h7h

However - seemingly. SuperDuper doesn't have that limitation....although in the SD discussion forums there are various reports of clones that won't boot.

[Edited at 2023-02-09 08:01 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right Feb 9, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

Isn’t that what SmartUpdate us for?

Just updated my Ventura backup on the external SSD using SmartUpdate, it worked perfectly well and took only 9 mins.
I'm writing from the cloned system right now.
I wasn't even aware of this option, thanks Hans!

[Edited at 2023-02-09 09:06 GMT]

Hans Lenting

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
thanks Feb 9, 2023

I'll give SuperDuper a try

LATER

Cloned the HD of my M1 Mac to an external USB drive.

Rebooted the M1 Mac holding down the power key. This gives the option of which drive to boot from.

Selected the external USB drive. But the Mac still insists on booting from the internal drive and puts up this warning:

Screenshot

Many discussion forums report a similar issue.

[Edited at 2023-02-09 15:01 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't help you Feb 9, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I'll give SuperDuper a try

LATER

Cloned the HD of my M1 Mac to an external USB drive.

Rebooted the M1 Mac holding down the power key. This gives the option of which drive to boot from.

Selected the external USB drive. But the Mac still insists on booting from the internal drive and puts up this warning:

Screenshot

Many discussion forums report a similar issue.

[Edited at 2023-02-09 15:01 GMT]

Last Mac I bought was a 2019 Intel iMac, buying an M1 was to risky as I have to run Windows stuff on my machine and incompatibility I hate.
But have a look here, a forum about Mac stuff with very knowledgeable people: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ventura-13-2-superduper.2379695/ but maybe you know the place already.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

iMac users

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »