Quickly create a TMX file from 2 text files
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Oct 17, 2022

Sometimes I'm in the middle of a project and need to research a term. When I find this term in a document for which a translation is available, I decide to create a TMX (since my CAT tool, CafeTran Espresso, can open it without conversion).

But it has to be quick, since I'm concentrating on the text to be translated.

I quickly copy the paragraphs containing the source terms/info to a file 'source.txt' on my Desktop and then I copy the paragraphs containing the target te
... See more
Sometimes I'm in the middle of a project and need to research a term. When I find this term in a document for which a translation is available, I decide to create a TMX (since my CAT tool, CafeTran Espresso, can open it without conversion).

But it has to be quick, since I'm concentrating on the text to be translated.

I quickly copy the paragraphs containing the source terms/info to a file 'source.txt' on my Desktop and then I copy the paragraphs containing the target terms/info to a file 'target.txt' on my Desktop.

Then I run the macro et voila: a TM named 'aligned.tmx' is created on the Desktop.

NOTE: You'll have to adjust the paths and language codes.

Download the macro here.

Collapse

Emanuele Vacca

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
New version Oct 18, 2022

Just uploaded a new version, because I had forgotten to add three lines for conversion of the & entities. Please download again here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quickly create a TMX file from 2 text files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »