Progress bar loading data, please wait...
Thread poster: Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:14
English to German
+ ...
Aug 19, 2019

That's the message I get having almost completed spellchecking. Progress bar shows 2% and that's it. No progress, Cancel does not work. What if I kill the progress, will I loose all the corrections done so far (about 5045 segments)? If that's the case, then I'm afraid WFP5 is no longer a viable solution as a CAT tool as this is not the first time this happens.

Setup:
iMac, 36 GB RAM, 16,74 GB free, WFP5

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Progress bar loading data, please wait... Aug 19, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

That's the message I get having almost completed spellchecking. Progress bar shows 2% and that's it. No progress, Cancel does not work. What if I kill the progress, will I loose all the corrections done so far (about 5045 segments)? If that's the case, then I'm afraid WFP5 is no longer a viable solution as a CAT tool as this is not the first time this happens.

Setup:
iMac, 36 GB RAM, 16,74 GB free, WFP5

(Continued)
As nothing happened I killed the process. On reopening WF a message appears saying that the changes had been saved, and that's fine. But still, why does this happen?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
When last did you save? Aug 19, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
If I kill the [process], will I loose all the corrections done so far (about 5045 segments)?

AFAIK, WFP5 does not autosave. Also, AFAIK, WFP5 does not write a changed segment to the TM unless you specifically use a shortcut (or a procedure) that updates the TM. This means that none of your edits are saved unless you have manually saved the file some time in the middle of the process. When did you last save the file?

You may be angry at WFP5 but the same thing would have been true if you had used another CAT tool and for some reason the tool decided to hang. I've had tools crash on me for no apparent reason, with all work lost up to the last time that I had manually saved. This is a hazard of computers. If a certain process leaves your file unsaved for a long time, rather interrupt the process often than let it run to the end, if you can't afford to lose changes. Or perform the process in another, better tool temporarily (personally, I don't do spellchecking inside a CAT tool -- instead, I export to DOC and then spellcheck the DOC file, and then repeat the edits in the CAT tool).

Added:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
(Continued)
As nothing happened I killed the process. On reopening WF a message appears saying that the changes had been saved, and that's fine.

Okay... I wonder under what circumstances WFP5 *does* autosave.

[Edited at 2019-08-19 08:02 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Progress bar loading data, please wait... Aug 19, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
If I kill the [process], will I loose all the corrections done so far (about 5045 segments)?

AFAIK, WFP5 does not autosave. Also, AFAIK, WFP5 does not write a changed segment to the TM unless you specifically use a shortcut (or a procedure) that updates the TM. This means that none of your edits are saved unless you have manually saved the file some time in the middle of the process. When did you last save the file?

You may be angry at WFP5 but the same thing would have been true if you had used another CAT tool and for some reason the tool decided to hang. I've had tools crash on me for no apparent reason, with all work lost up to the last time that I had manually saved. This is a hazard of computers. If a certain process leaves your file unsaved for a long time, rather interrupt the process often than let it run to the end, if you can't afford to lose changes. Or perform the process in another, better tool temporarily (personally, I don't do spellchecking inside a CAT tool -- instead, I export to DOC and then spellcheck the DOC file, and then repeat the edits in the CAT tool).

Added:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
(Continued)
As nothing happened I killed the process. On reopening WF a message appears saying that the changes had been saved, and that's fine.

Okay... I wonder under what circumstances WFP5 *does* autosave.

[Edited at 2019-08-19 08:02 GMT]

Hi Samuel
me too, I wonder. Why does WFP autosave when a crash occurs and not every, say 5/10+ minutes like MemoQ 9, DVX, Cafetran, Swordfish do (Studio 2019 apparently acts like WFP, it autosaves on the occurrence of a crash)? As most software today autosave, I have lost the reflex to CTLR+S/CMD+S at regular intervals.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Progress bar loading data, please wait...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »