Thread poster: Orkoyen (X)
Orkoyen (X)
Orkoyen (X)
United States
Local time: 08:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 17, 2021

Scenario: Mr. X translates Term A to Term B. Later, in a different project, he is asked to translate Term B back to the source language of Term A. However, Mr. X is chagrined that Term B does not appear to be an optimal effort if he simply translates to Term A. I've pondered this dynamic a few times when working a proposed translation. Have you encountered this situation? I suspect many are ahead of me on this.

Literal translations involving cognates (English-Spanish f
... See more
Scenario: Mr. X translates Term A to Term B. Later, in a different project, he is asked to translate Term B back to the source language of Term A. However, Mr. X is chagrined that Term B does not appear to be an optimal effort if he simply translates to Term A. I've pondered this dynamic a few times when working a proposed translation. Have you encountered this situation? I suspect many are ahead of me on this.

Literal translations involving cognates (English-Spanish for example) make translating back very easy. But when one has to initially translate to Term B by using "feel", that does not necessarily mean that Term B, if translated back to the source language, will result with Term A as the solution. I think this scenario is what is so intriguing about the translation craft. Context is everything with the initial translation and as much when re-translating back to source. I wish I had kept some examples. I'll post some when I experience them.
Collapse

Esney Garcia Caso

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Re-Translation: Taking a Translated Term Back to Its Source Language

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »