Translation of companies, agencies, universities, departments, etc.
Thread poster: Laura Rios (X)
Laura Rios (X)
Laura Rios (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 19, 2020

I am translating a huge list of resources for seniors and it includes many names of agencies, universities, departments and I am unsure if I should translate them. I would ask the client but it's the weekend and they are closed.

Here are some examples:

- University of MD School of Dentistry - Facultad de Odontologia de la Universidad de MD (??)

- AA County Dept. of Aging and Disabilities/Local office of the long termcare Ombudsman Program-
Depart
... See more
I am translating a huge list of resources for seniors and it includes many names of agencies, universities, departments and I am unsure if I should translate them. I would ask the client but it's the weekend and they are closed.

Here are some examples:

- University of MD School of Dentistry - Facultad de Odontologia de la Universidad de MD (??)

- AA County Dept. of Aging and Disabilities/Local office of the long termcare Ombudsman Program-
Departamento de Envejecimiento y Discapacidades del Condado de AA / Oficina Local del Programa de Defensor
del Pueblo de Atención a Largo Plazo (??)

- Alzheimer's Association/MedicAlert and Safe Return Program - Asociación de Alzheimer / Programa de
MedicAlert and Safe Return (??) *should I translate the name of the program?

It's so confusing and I feel like it would be easier to not translate it because at the bottom of each one they explain the service/programs they offer.. Help!

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Ann-Kathrin Yi
Ann-Kathrin Yi
Germany
Local time: 14:35
Member (2023)
English to German
+ ...
might depend on the TA Aug 8, 2020

To be honest,

I think the appropriate way would to check each faculty, business, etc. if they happen to have already a name in your Language.
So lets see, if it shows in any way the departments and what their type of organization is, I think actually no translation is necessary.
Otherwise, you should ask yourself. Why you translate it, and what purpose has it, how about the reader, might it matter to the reading audience?

Let's say, the list is something to
... See more
To be honest,

I think the appropriate way would to check each faculty, business, etc. if they happen to have already a name in your Language.
So lets see, if it shows in any way the departments and what their type of organization is, I think actually no translation is necessary.
Otherwise, you should ask yourself. Why you translate it, and what purpose has it, how about the reader, might it matter to the reading audience?

Let's say, the list is something to be published as a list for some petition or filing for a company or something (that might need translation because of the rules of submit). Like a tender, which needs to be 100% in your target language.

But if it's just a list, or read by a few people who would recognize these organizations by Name or Department, I say - no, no translation needed.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of companies, agencies, universities, departments, etc.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »