Conventions for writing SOPs/manuals with abbreviated form (in German)
Thread poster: Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:00
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 24, 2019

Lately, I've been translating a lot of technical documents from German.
Many segments simply contain abbreviated strings of two or three nouns without any prepositions. It can be difficult to figure out how these words relate to each other. I am often not sure if I am translating the segments correctly.

I've asked myself:
1) Are these documents written by non-native speakers and/or have they been translated from another language?
2) Are the joining words omitted to
... See more
Lately, I've been translating a lot of technical documents from German.
Many segments simply contain abbreviated strings of two or three nouns without any prepositions. It can be difficult to figure out how these words relate to each other. I am often not sure if I am translating the segments correctly.

I've asked myself:
1) Are these documents written by non-native speakers and/or have they been translated from another language?
2) Are the joining words omitted to save space? Was the writer lazy? Are the notes only meant to be understood internally?
3) Is there some sort of generally accepted style for writing technical documents. For example, the order of the words indicates how they are related.

If 3) is the case, does anybody know of any resources that I can use to decipher this abbreviated form?
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Examples? Sep 24, 2019

Could you give us some examples?

Alison Jenner

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Ask a few KudoZ questions Sep 24, 2019

Technical German can be quite terse, but if you know how to read it, it is clear enough if well-written (which admittedly is often not the case). A few questions should be sufficient to get the hang of it.

With strings of nouns, it's often the genitive article (and the genitive case) that gets left out:
Verkleidung Unterseite Armaturenbrett = Verkleidung der U
... See more
Technical German can be quite terse, but if you know how to read it, it is clear enough if well-written (which admittedly is often not the case). A few questions should be sufficient to get the hang of it.

With strings of nouns, it's often the genitive article (and the genitive case) that gets left out:
Verkleidung Unterseite Armaturenbrett = Verkleidung der Unterseite des Armaturenbretts

In English, you'd turn the order around:
dashboard lower panel trim

Unfortunately, many translators and non-natives are oblivious to this difference in word order, which can make parsing of low-quality texts less reliable without context information.
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Brent Sørensen

Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just what I needed Sep 24, 2019

Thanks, Endre,
This was exactly what I was looking for.
Brent

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conventions for writing SOPs/manuals with abbreviated form (in German)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »