Large project: practice of sub-contracting or collaboration by a freelancer with other freelancers
Thread poster: Muzaffer Sharif Bhutta
Muzaffer Sharif Bhutta
Muzaffer Sharif Bhutta  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 13:40
Member (2018)
English to Urdu
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Aug 28, 2019

I would like to invite views of freelancers whether they ever sub-contracted a part of a large project which had a tight deadline? For example, if a client requests to deliver a translation of, say, 200,000/- words in a short time, and the only way to deliver the work to client as per stipulated deadline is by engaging other translators for part of the work. In this case the translator also becomes a project manager. The client does not care how many resources the freelancer engages, he is only ... See more
I would like to invite views of freelancers whether they ever sub-contracted a part of a large project which had a tight deadline? For example, if a client requests to deliver a translation of, say, 200,000/- words in a short time, and the only way to deliver the work to client as per stipulated deadline is by engaging other translators for part of the work. In this case the translator also becomes a project manager. The client does not care how many resources the freelancer engages, he is only concerned with the output, i.e. translated material. The discussion is still at financial bid stage.
Would any freelancer like to share his/her experience of managing such large projects (with tight deadlines) by sub-contracting part of translation work to other freelancers? How often they have to engage other freelancers?

Best regards,

Muzaffer
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:40
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Split projects Aug 28, 2019

Over the years, I have worked on several occasions with a small group of trusted translators (I wouldn’t do it with people I’ve never worked before) either as a project manager or as a simple member of the team but never with a tight deadline as for me the main requirement is that the whole process can't be rushed…

Muzaffer Sharif Bhutta
Viviane Marx

Muzaffer Sharif Bhutta
Pakistan
Member (2018)
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Re: split projects Aug 28, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:

Over the years, I have worked on several occasions with a small group of trusted translators (I wouldn’t do it with people I’ve never worked before) either as a project manager or as a simple member of the team but never with a tight deadline as for me the main requirement is that the whole process can't be rushed…

Thank for your input, Teresa!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:40
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Ask the client first Aug 28, 2019

Before sub-contracting parts of the project, a translator should check the terms of any NDA with the client. I would tell the client in any case, if I could not translate the whole text.

I personally work with agencies most of the time. I have once or twice found a German colleague, when a direct client needed a translation into German, but normally I would refer the client to an agency who could find translators. I do not act as a project manager myself.

I prefer to ta
... See more
Before sub-contracting parts of the project, a translator should check the terms of any NDA with the client. I would tell the client in any case, if I could not translate the whole text.

I personally work with agencies most of the time. I have once or twice found a German colleague, when a direct client needed a translation into German, but normally I would refer the client to an agency who could find translators. I do not act as a project manager myself.

I prefer to take a share of the translation work, and would not want to spend time managing and paying for other people's contributions, proofreading and coordinating. I know several agencies who are expert at that side of the business and would be far more efficient than me.
Collapse

Muzaffer Sharif Bhutta

Muzaffer Sharif Bhutta
Pakistan
Member (2018)
English to Urdu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Re: Ask the client first Aug 28, 2019

Christine Andersen wrote:

I prefer to take a share of the translation work, and would not want to spend time managing and paying for other people's contributions, proofreading and coordinating. I know several agencies who are expert at that side of the business and would be far more efficient than me.

Important points, Christine! Checking with client / NDA is important. Perhaps, sub-contracting on frequent basis could be indication that one could think of moving from individual freelancer to an agency / commercial LSP model.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Large project: practice of sub-contracting or collaboration by a freelancer with other freelancers

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »