United Kingdom
Local time: 11:18
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 23, 2017

Hi,

I am considering moving to NZ.

Does anyone know if (as foreigner self-employed in NZ) I would qualify for public health services ?

Kind regards,

Nathalie

erickl
erickl
New Zealand
Local time: 00:18
English to French
+ ...
Health services Oct 23, 2017

Hi Nathalie,

There are different cases; you would only be eligible if you have permanent residency;

If you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country or of a Pacific Islander, you are not eligible for three months;

For all other countries, you are not eligible for two years (There were talks of extending it to three years, but I am not sure if this has actually been implemented).

Yet, upon entry in the country, you are most likely to receive a tem
... See more
Hi Nathalie,

There are different cases; you would only be eligible if you have permanent residency;

If you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country or of a Pacific Islander, you are not eligible for three months;

For all other countries, you are not eligible for two years (There were talks of extending it to three years, but I am not sure if this has actually been implemented).

Yet, upon entry in the country, you are most likely to receive a temporary permit of work, valid for one year; in my case, the permanent residency was issued after 52 weeks in New Zealand, and this is when they start to count the 2-year delay, which therefore became in reality three years.

The same goes for all public services, not only health services.

Hoping this help.

Erik
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Self employed in NZ and eligibility for health services

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »