Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:14
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Some impressions after ca. one month and several jobs translated Mar 12, 2009

Hi all,

I have been using NXT for a month or so now (and before that the Satellite PE version). I decided to go for it, as I hate restrictions and limitations when using a CAT, so that I am ready to invest in order to get rid of headaches. Mostly, the volume justified the investment. Being a Trados person, my learning curve gets slower up, I think, than it should, as the interface is pretty clear and self-explaining (so to say, very visual). Still, I think in Trados terms, so that m
... See more
Hi all,

I have been using NXT for a month or so now (and before that the Satellite PE version). I decided to go for it, as I hate restrictions and limitations when using a CAT, so that I am ready to invest in order to get rid of headaches. Mostly, the volume justified the investment. Being a Trados person, my learning curve gets slower up, I think, than it should, as the interface is pretty clear and self-explaining (so to say, very visual). Still, I think in Trados terms, so that my translation speed isn't the same.

Whatever, either I am doing something wrong or a couple of features aren't that handy: when there is a fuzzy, you can't walk around it, either you enter it or it is entered My files have a lot of code and this means I have to modify the text accordingly, then cut it, insert source again (rolling back) and insert the text I had cut at light speed before that fuzzy window shows up again. (I have set fuzzy at my usual 75%, just to be sure something comes up, that much of code difference wouldn't show very similar text if i set a higher percentage)

... might be me, to be honest I haven't read the whole documentation, quite comprehensive, so far... not enough time

Another disturbing thing, again it might be me, when hitting ALT+insert for marking the segment as translated and jump to the next not translated one, part of the segment is deleted.... a dot and an empty space or much more, such as all the code at the end of the segment or a good part of the end of the segment (a full EN norm + Directive, for ex. which is a pain when re-reading).

I tend to believe I have to have set something silly, but can't understand what (again, not enough time for really thinking it thru. I have checked the options, but I might be too slow to spot the mistake... as said i think in other terms first and changing that takes some time).

Apart from my very personal little technical hiccups, my impressions are very positive. That you have to buy extra filters and at those prices is a little bit of a costly issue for freelancers, I'd say, if the volume ($$$) p.a. isn't very high.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-03-12 09:01 GMT]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 18:14
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Two solutions for Transit NXT Mar 12, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

when there is a fuzzy, you can't walk around it, either you enter it or it is entered

Simply hit "Escape" key when the focus is in the fuzzy window (I had the same problem for some time). This sends the fuzzy window away.

Another disturbing thing, again it might be me, when hitting ALT+insert for marking the segment as translated and jump to the next not translated one, part of the segment is deleted.... a dot and an empty space or much more, such as all the code at the end of the segment or a good part of the end of the segment (a full EN norm + Directive, for ex. which is a pain when re-reading).

Click the down-arrow at the big "Confirm" tick-like icon (under the "Processing" tab) and cancel the "Delete to end of segment" option

HTH

Antonin

P.S. There are some worse things you have not found so far, so perhaps they will be not so bad for you (macros and customized keyboard shortcuts do not work as supposed)

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:14
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Thanks, Antonín! Mar 12, 2009

Hi Antonín,

thanks! That did it! That was one of the few buttons I didn't dare click on thinking it'd confirm batch-wise all segments.

I haven't used the customize keyboard thingie yet, I had the feeling it might cause stronger headaches and you have just confirmed my divination of the situation

Thanks again!

Giuliana

Sathyan Nair
Sathyan Nair
India
Proofreading on TRANSIT NXT Jul 24, 2019

Hello,
Can someone please help to know if I have a Translator License, can I use the Reviewer Role to Proofread a text?
How do I open a Package delivered by a Translator.

Regards,
Sathyan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit NXT

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »