Trados crashing at specific segments only in bigger projects; unable to edit those segments!
Thread poster: Verena Horter
Verena Horter
Verena Horter
Germany
Local time: 14:55
English to German
+ ...
Mar 16, 2021

Dear everybody,

I got a quite strange problem with my SDL Trados Studio 2019.
It’s only happening with rather big projects (packages that I get from one of my translation agencies): I translate most of the text, but when I get to about the second third of the file there is either one or two or three files that I cannot translate: Because everytime I click into the translation segment the whole Trados will stop and crash in the second I click into the segment.. The source seg
... See more
Dear everybody,

I got a quite strange problem with my SDL Trados Studio 2019.
It’s only happening with rather big projects (packages that I get from one of my translation agencies): I translate most of the text, but when I get to about the second third of the file there is either one or two or three files that I cannot translate: Because everytime I click into the translation segment the whole Trados will stop and crash in the second I click into the segment.. The source segment works however, it’s only the translation segment.

Thus, it’s always quite in the end. Of a bigger project. Of a SDL package. It already happen with packages from different agencies. And it’s always the same segments that won’t work and thus are not edible at all.

The agency who’s package I was translating when this first happened tried it out on THEIR server, but THEY didn’t experience any problem with the file or with those segments..
Only one time in what feels like a hundred tries I got an error message telling me something about the RAM of my laptop might be not right.. That’s why I suppose it might be the case that my laptop simply has too little RAM? I don’t have problems with any other programs, but I don’t use any program that RAM-intensive as Trados Studio, thus I can’t know. It also already happened that Trados crashed in a completely “normal” segment, apparently just because I handled it a bit too quickly and my laptop couldn’t bring up enough “energy” for that action. That’s what also makes me think it might be a problem about my RAM. My laptop has 8 GB RAM and I heard that SDL Trados works best with 16 GB RAM, so now, as it’s only happening with big projects I think that might be the solution.
However, I wanted to ask you, what else it might be and what you think I could try or if it’s indeed worth a try getting myself more RAM for my laptop.
Yes, I installed every single new update for Windows, MS Office, every driver on my laptop and SDL Trados Studio and Multiterm itself, I also have no trash software or data or virus or anything else on my laptop, I tried that all and the problem still persists.

This is the only error message I only got once: "Die Anweisung 0x0000000077327975 verwies auf Arbeitsspeicher bei 0x0000000015914C57. Der Vorgang written konnte im Arbeitsspeicher nicht durchgeführt werden." ("0x00000077327975 referred to the RAM 0x00000015914C57. The operation "written" (also in German like that, I have no idea what that means??) could not be performed by the RAM")

Thank you very much for any possibly useful answers!

Greetings from Germany,
Verena
Collapse

Darius Sciuka
Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 15:55
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Similar Experience, and What I Did Mar 16, 2021

Hello Verena,

It happened to me once or twice when a click on a specific segment would cause weird things; all segments before and after that one were fine. What I did: I was very careful to not click the affected segment and completed the translation of the file. Then I used a Unicode-supporting text editor to open the SDLXLIFF file, find this empty segment (searching by the source text) and enter the translation (taking care not to touch any of the million XML tags in the file). T
... See more
Hello Verena,

It happened to me once or twice when a click on a specific segment would cause weird things; all segments before and after that one were fine. What I did: I was very careful to not click the affected segment and completed the translation of the file. Then I used a Unicode-supporting text editor to open the SDLXLIFF file, find this empty segment (searching by the source text) and enter the translation (taking care not to touch any of the million XML tags in the file). Then save it, close, and open with Studio again to verify. It worked all times. However this workaround will not be very useful if there are many bad segments.

It could also be possible to translate such segments outside Studio to produce a bilingual file that can be imported into the project TM. After you translate the rest of the file you can try auto-translating it from the TM to fill the empty segments. It might work or not.

I hope you will be able to solve this issue.

Best regards,
Darius
Collapse

Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:55
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Ask SDL installation support Mar 16, 2021

Hi Verena,

I would ask SDL installation support which I understand is free. They can surely point you in the right direction and clarify whether this is indeed a RAM problem.

Kristina

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:55
English to Russian
I experienced this issue in GroupShare projects only Mar 17, 2021

Thank god, it happens not so often. My workaround was to create a simple document (docx or even txt) containing the problem segment alone. Then I added that document to my project and translated it so that it goes to TM. Then go back to your main document, put cursor in the segment that goes just before the problem segment and press Ctrl+Enter (confirm). The next segment (the problem one) will be translated by auto-propagation. If not, you can also run pre-translation batch task to insert transl... See more
Thank god, it happens not so often. My workaround was to create a simple document (docx or even txt) containing the problem segment alone. Then I added that document to my project and translated it so that it goes to TM. Then go back to your main document, put cursor in the segment that goes just before the problem segment and press Ctrl+Enter (confirm). The next segment (the problem one) will be translated by auto-propagation. If not, you can also run pre-translation batch task to insert translation from TM.
It was real annoying but I could not find a fix for that. If anybody can, please share it here.

[Edited at 2021-03-17 01:15 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados crashing at specific segments only in bigger projects; unable to edit those segments!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »