Final Draft files in Trados 2011
Thread poster: Lucy Williams
Lucy Williams
Lucy Williams  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:34
Spanish to English
Jan 22, 2014

Has anybody used Final Draft (screenwriting) files in Trados 2011?

Is it relatively straightforward? I've just been asked by my main client if I can use Final Draft but I'm not sure if it will work with Trados and I need to use my exisiting TMs.

Thanks

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I reckon so... Jan 23, 2014

... based on some quick tests. I downloaded a trial of Final Draft and the files save as *.FDX files. But these seem to be simple xml files, and the quick tests I did were quite simple to handle with a custom xml... I can send it to you if you want to test it?

Looking at the help it also seems possible to export to RTF and a few other formats, but I think the XML based FDX is going to be the best format to use.

Maybe ask your client for a couple of test files and have
... See more
... based on some quick tests. I downloaded a trial of Final Draft and the files save as *.FDX files. But these seem to be simple xml files, and the quick tests I did were quite simple to handle with a custom xml... I can send it to you if you want to test it?

Looking at the help it also seems possible to export to RTF and a few other formats, but I think the XML based FDX is going to be the best format to use.

Maybe ask your client for a couple of test files and have a go?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]
Collapse

Lucy Williams
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Practice files Jan 25, 2014

Thanks Paul,

I've asked the client to send me some files so I can try your suggestions. I'll let you know how I get on.

Lucy

Lucy Williams
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
FDX and XML files Jan 28, 2014

Hi Paul,

I've got a test file in Final Draft from the client. What do you think the best thing to do is, do I save it as a xml file and then open it that way in Trados? I'm a bit lost.

Thanks

Lucy

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It’s already XML.. Jan 28, 2014

Hi Lucy,

The fdx file is xml already, but is just called fdx. So if you create a new xml filetype in Studio and tell it to use the fdx extension that all will be well. I have some settings for this I created as a quick test so can provide this to you if you like or you’re unsure of what to do?

Regards

Paul

Lucy Williams
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes please Jan 28, 2014

That would be great Paul, if it's not too much trouble.

Kallie Translation (X)
Kallie Translation (X)
United States
English to French
+ ...
Final draft workaround? Jun 4, 2020

Hi! Bumping this thread even though it's super old. Using Studio 2019, can anyone explain how to create a new xml file type to use the fax extension? I'm not having any luck. Thanks!

Wendy Gosselin
Wendy Gosselin  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:34
Member (2003)
English
+ ...
Importing an FDX file in Studio 2019 Aug 13, 2020

So I managed to do this successfully but simply clicking on the file name and adding .XML at the end. Windows warned me the program might be unusable if I did this but I went ahead and created a project in Studio with it and--hurray! Studio lifted the file with no problem. Unfortunately, the segments were split horribly (in some cases, a single word was a single segment) so I ultimately got the script-writing client to export the FDX to RTF and then worked from that file.
Hope this helps!

Lucy Williams
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Do you also have FD? Feb 25, 2021

Hi Wendy,

Do you also have FD itself? Can you open the files in FD to do a final check, or are you delivering in RTF?

Lucy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Final Draft files in Trados 2011

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »