Thread poster: Derek Voglis
Derek Voglis
Derek Voglis
Puerto Rico
Local time: 19:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 17, 2017

Buenas tardes a todos. Espero que se encuentren bien. Hoy yo estaba pensando en qué chévere sería poder traducir documentos para clientes y así obtener experiencia, pero se me ocurrió algo. No tengo experiencia y estoy 4 años de empezar mi maestría en traducción. Tengo muchas ganas de ser traductor. Soy de Los Estados Unidos, vivo en San Juan, aprendo rápido, etc. A mí me parece bastante complicado encontrar buena retroalimentación y por eso les pido que dejen sus comentarios sobre c�... See more
Buenas tardes a todos. Espero que se encuentren bien. Hoy yo estaba pensando en qué chévere sería poder traducir documentos para clientes y así obtener experiencia, pero se me ocurrió algo. No tengo experiencia y estoy 4 años de empezar mi maestría en traducción. Tengo muchas ganas de ser traductor. Soy de Los Estados Unidos, vivo en San Juan, aprendo rápido, etc. A mí me parece bastante complicado encontrar buena retroalimentación y por eso les pido que dejen sus comentarios sobre cómo lograron hacer una carrera en esta industria. ¿Hay un secreto que yo no sepa? ¿Cuál es la mejor manera de convertirse en un traductor profesional?

Quedo a la espera de sus mensajes.
Collapse

Shannon Kirby
Shannon Kirby  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:33
Member (2020)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Patience, perseverance, practice Sep 18, 2017

I'm still new to freelancing as most of my previous translation work was in-house, but in my experience, it takes a long time to start from scratch building up a client list freelancing, especially in the Spanish-English language pair.

Networking is important. I didn't find my most dependable jobs online; I found them through people I befriended where I currently live, and they're local jobs. Then I got more jobs through word of mouth. This isn't to say you shouldn't try online, tho
... See more
I'm still new to freelancing as most of my previous translation work was in-house, but in my experience, it takes a long time to start from scratch building up a client list freelancing, especially in the Spanish-English language pair.

Networking is important. I didn't find my most dependable jobs online; I found them through people I befriended where I currently live, and they're local jobs. Then I got more jobs through word of mouth. This isn't to say you shouldn't try online, though. I would also recommend simply checking ProZ and other similar sites on a daily basis and applying to all the jobs you think you're qualified for.

Re: experience, if you don't have enough professional experience yet, try volunteering. This way, you can flesh out your portfolio while helping others. Wins all around.

It is also advisable to specialize in something (e.g., legal, medical, technical, etc.), especially since, again, the Spanish-English language pair is so saturated and competitive. What areas of expertise have you already worked or volunteered in? What have you studied? What are your passions? Use this to identify your area(s) of specialization and further develop it/them.

It's not enough to know two languages. It's not enough to study translation. Potential clients need to know you're a good writer in your native language and that you know your L2 so well you can translate it into your L1 without mistakes and so it sounds like a native speaker wrote it, not like it was translated.

Hope this helps!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Obtener un trabajo sin experiencia previa

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »