Seamless switching between two windows (Autoit script)
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 7, 2020

Hello everyone

I sometimes need to compare two files that have very similar layout. I can either put the two files next to each other, or I can use Ctrl+Tab (or my mouse) to switch between them. However, using Ctrl+Tab isn't seamless, and side-by-side isn't always useful for me.

So, I wrote a small AutoIt script that can be used for switching between two windows.
... See more
Hello everyone

I sometimes need to compare two files that have very similar layout. I can either put the two files next to each other, or I can use Ctrl+Tab (or my mouse) to switch between them. However, using Ctrl+Tab isn't seamless, and side-by-side isn't always useful for me.

So, I wrote a small AutoIt script that can be used for switching between two windows.

http://www.leuce.com/autoit/winswitchie.zip
You need AutoIt installed to use it.

You open both windows, then use a shortcut to "remember" the two windows, and then you can use another shortcut to switch between the two windows. The shortcut is ` (or ~).

Do you know of other free utilities that do the same or similar things?

Samuel
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Tiling window manager Feb 7, 2020

Thank you, Samuel.

I have something, but it's not a script/utility. I thought I'd share. I don't want to hijack your thread, however, so If you consider this OT, let me know, I will gladly take it down.

In my GNU/Linux distribution with the i3 tiling window manager (Regolith Linux), by default (there are other modes as well), if I open a program or window, it takes up the full screen, with no window decorations. If I then open a second program a window, the screen is au
... See more
Thank you, Samuel.

I have something, but it's not a script/utility. I thought I'd share. I don't want to hijack your thread, however, so If you consider this OT, let me know, I will gladly take it down.

In my GNU/Linux distribution with the i3 tiling window manager (Regolith Linux), by default (there are other modes as well), if I open a program or window, it takes up the full screen, with no window decorations. If I then open a second program a window, the screen is automatically divided and each window takes up half the screen.

I can switch focus seamlessly between the on-screen windows with Ctrl+Arrows or Ctrl+H,J,K or L.
Window positions can be swapped (Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right arrow) and one window can be allocated more place via the resize mode (Super key+R, then Left/Right arrow, then escape when done). New windows can be placed vertically or horizontally.

I can also switch between (up to 19) dynamic virtual workplaces or send a window to another workplace via a keyboard shortcut. Multiple displays are just different workplaces, so such setups work seamlessly as well.

With some applications, like the document viewer (Zathura), navigation within the document is also keyboard-friendly.

So in effect, everything* can be done via the keyboard.

Migrating to Linux is not seamless, but everything else is (or, can be, could be, might be… *you get the hyperbole/picture).

[Edited at 2020-02-07 14:41 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seamless switching between two windows (Autoit script)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »