Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:10
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 5, 2020

When I translate a Word file in Studio 2019 and convert it back into Word, there are no spaces between the sentences (same goes for after question and reclamation marks).

What I mean to say is that sentence 2 starts right after the fullstop of sentence 1, and so on. Is there a way to fix this problem?

[Edited at 2020-10-05 11:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-10-05 11:32 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Add space after sentences in Studio Oct 5, 2020

I don't know why this happens to you, since the space should be added by Studio automatically. You may want to check the settings - perhaps there is a setting regarding not including space after segments.

As an interim solution until someone comes up with a solution for you, I would just add a space at the end of each sentence in Studio. Perhaps not quite what you want, but it makes things easier.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Roy Oct 5, 2020

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I don't know why this happens to you, since the space should be added by Studio automatically. You may want to check the settings - perhaps there is a setting regarding not including space after segments.

As an interim solution until someone comes up with a solution for you, I would just add a space at the end of each sentence in Studio. Perhaps not quite what you want, but it makes things easier.

I now place the spaces manually in the translated Word file. So your solution is a kind of 'same same but different'.

You are right, not quite what I want/am looking for, but thank you for your input.

Roy Oestensen

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
You are right, but … Oct 5, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I now place the spaces manually in the translated Word file. So your solution is a kind of 'same same but different'.

You are quite correct - it's just that I find it easier and faster to enter a space at the end of a sentence during the translation phase (which needs to be done in Dejavu) that doing it as a separate step i Word after the translation is exported. But what works best for one, does not necessarily work as well for someone else.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I am having the same problem and applying a manual workaround is far from optimal Jan 20, 2021

I am working on a large project, made out of many files, and applying the spaces manually is taking much longer than forecast. And initially, I thought I had made a mistake in setting up my Trados options, so I went through them for additional hours...

Stefano Crivellaro
Stefano Crivellaro  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Placeholder string. Feb 5, 2021

Assuming your source file is a wordprocessor file, you could use Search and Replace to add a placeholder string at the end of each sentence. For example, search for -period-space or -period-vtab- or whatever the sentences end with and replace that with -period-placeholder string- in the source file. Then replace the placeholder with -space- in the translated file. To speed up the process you could create a script that does that automatically.

[Edited at 2021-02-05 11:34 GMT]

[Edite
... See more
Assuming your source file is a wordprocessor file, you could use Search and Replace to add a placeholder string at the end of each sentence. For example, search for -period-space or -period-vtab- or whatever the sentences end with and replace that with -period-placeholder string- in the source file. Then replace the placeholder with -space- in the translated file. To speed up the process you could create a script that does that automatically.

[Edited at 2021-02-05 11:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-05 11:38 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No space between sentences

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »