How to make a tmx file from a bilingual word file.
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 07:44
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 24, 2019

Hello experts,

Trados supports the tmx files for the purpose of Translation Memory. Could you please suggest a method to create a tmx file from a bilingual word file in which the source and target text is side by side in a table?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

[Edited at 2019-03-24 18:01 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/173440-free_tool_to_produce_a_tmx_file.html Mar 24, 2019

How about a free and tiny PlusTools for MS Word? Besides bilingua alignment it also can extract terms (frequent and specialized words/collocations) and do other useful things.

Rajan Chopra

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Chopra Mar 25, 2019

chopra_2002 wrote:
Could you please suggest a method to create a TMX file from a bilingual Word file in which the source and target text is side by side in a table?

Yup, Wordfast's PlusTools utility can convert such a table to Wordfast's TM format, which you can then convert to TMX using another utility, Odent's WfConverter.

- PlusTools
- Odent's WfConverter (temporary location)

Rajan Chopra

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Seeing as you posted in the Trados form... Mar 25, 2019

chopra_2002 wrote:

Hello experts,

Trados supports the tmx files for the purpose of Translation Memory. Could you please suggest a method to create a tmx file from a bilingual word file in which the source and target text is side by side in a table?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

... why don't you copy the table into Excel, then use the Glossary Converter to convert to TMX?
Or open the Excel in Studio using the Bilingual Excel filetype and just update the contents into an SDLTM, then export to TMX.

Rajan Chopra

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 07:44
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you for your valuable suggestions Mar 25, 2019

SDL Community wrote:

... why don't you copy the table into Excel, then use the Glossary Converter to convert to TMX?
Or open the Excel in Studio using the Bilingual Excel filetype and just update the contents into an SDLTM, then export to TMX.

I mean Trados Studio. I have 2015 version. I look forward to the inputs from some other experts also. I am thankful to all of you.

Regards,

Chopra

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Same suggestion... Mar 25, 2019

chopra_2002 wrote:

I mean Trados Studio. I have 2015 version. I look forward to the inputs from some other experts also. I am thankful to all of you.

... applies. Glossary Converter, Bilingual Excel filetype... all available with SDL Trados Studio 2015.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make a tmx file from a bilingual word file.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »