Fast typing impossible with Studio and large files. Is it me?
Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 30, 2018

Every time I start to type really fast, Trados starts to open random windows and ends up wanting to generate a Preview. When the file is small, this might not be a big problem. But with very large files it means I have to wait very long after pressing Cancel before you can start translating again!

This happens to me only in Trados, and even if I am taking the utmost care not to mishit double keys. I am working in 2017 now, but all Studio versions had this problem. Am I the only one
... See more
Every time I start to type really fast, Trados starts to open random windows and ends up wanting to generate a Preview. When the file is small, this might not be a big problem. But with very large files it means I have to wait very long after pressing Cancel before you can start translating again!

This happens to me only in Trados, and even if I am taking the utmost care not to mishit double keys. I am working in 2017 now, but all Studio versions had this problem. Am I the only one having this problem?

Between the above happening every few minutes and autosave feature forcing long pauses every x minutes, with large files it is almost impossible to really get to my usual high speed. I normally do not have time to report or enquire on this when it happens, because of the large files and approaching deadlines. But this time too much is too much! So here is my one-minute grumble. Sorry about it and happy new year to everybody.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
my 2 cents Dec 30, 2018

Hi Luca,

My experience is that unless (1) you have a very powerful computer and (2) you are running the latest version of Studio (i.e. 2019), you need to switch off the preview, and if you activated it in your current session: close Studio completely and re-open it. Otherwise … each time you move to a new segment, Studio will slow down as the system goes looking for the preview / generating it, or whatever the hell it is doing. The document previewers are way better in Déj
... See more
Hi Luca,

My experience is that unless (1) you have a very powerful computer and (2) you are running the latest version of Studio (i.e. 2019), you need to switch off the preview, and if you activated it in your current session: close Studio completely and re-open it. Otherwise … each time you move to a new segment, Studio will slow down as the system goes looking for the preview / generating it, or whatever the hell it is doing. The document previewers are way better in Déjà Vu + memoQ.

Michael
Collapse

Armine Abelyan

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:28
Italian to English
+ ...
You are not alone Dec 31, 2018

Happens to me too Luca, maybe a few times a week with no shortcut set for the preview, now trying an improbable key combination. I thought it was some sort of keyboard compatibility/key combination thing as sometimes the cursor will also jump from one segment to another at random while typing, so some of what I'm writing will be in the wrong segment.

Haven't found a solution yet.
... See more
Happens to me too Luca, maybe a few times a week with no shortcut set for the preview, now trying an improbable key combination. I thought it was some sort of keyboard compatibility/key combination thing as sometimes the cursor will also jump from one segment to another at random while typing, so some of what I'm writing will be in the wrong segment.

Haven't found a solution yet.
Looks like no one else has either:
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/7423
https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/318130-in_sdl_trados_studio_2015_how_do_i_turn_off_"generating_preview"_that_i_accidentially_activated.html

How do you switch off the preview Michael?
I've always just closed the preview window.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fast typing impossible with Studio and large files. Is it me?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »