Suddenly impossible to translate a package file I am translating, nothing works anymore
Thread poster: Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Local time: 06:46
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Dec 17, 2018

Hello,

I use Trados 2019.
Shortly after I did some basic settings in View, while translating a file, I could no longer open the file, following message appears :
"Cannot access site for type
Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TranslatableDocument.ViewPart before the view part has been initialized"
Under these I can click on "Knowledge Base", "Community", or "OK". If I click on the first 2 options, some SDL help forums appear, refering only to Tra
... See more
Hello,

I use Trados 2019.
Shortly after I did some basic settings in View, while translating a file, I could no longer open the file, following message appears :
"Cannot access site for type
Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TranslatableDocument.ViewPart before the view part has been initialized"
Under these I can click on "Knowledge Base", "Community", or "OK". If I click on the first 2 options, some SDL help forums appear, refering only to Trados 2017 or to this: https://community.sdl.com/search?q=Cannot%20access%20site%20for%20type%20Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TranslatableDocumentViewPart%20before%20the%20view%20part%20has%20been%20initialized.

I deinstalled Trados completely and reinstalled it, and nothing has changed.
I also cannot open the "Projects", "Files", "Reports", "Editor" etc. tabs on the link, nor can I open the "Home", "View", "Help" etc. tabs above.

I fact, I just cannot use Trados at all.

Can anybody please help?

Thanks a lot!
Collapse

André Sainderichin
André Sainderichin  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2014)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Try 2017? Dec 17, 2018

Hi,

2019 is spanking new, I'm holding out a few months before upgrading from 2017.
I suppose you tried with rebooting your PC after the re-installation of 2019.

Why don't you try to (re)install 2017? If you deactivate your licence on 2019 and reactivate it on 2017, you should be OK.

Cheers,
André

Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did reboot my computer indeed Dec 17, 2018

Thank you André for your reply.

I did reboot my PC but nothing changed.

And I am reinstalling my previous Trados version indeed, as I see no solution, especially as empty pages open when I click on the 2 SDL Assistance options (https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/mysupport.aspx).

That will be a good lesson for the future. I wil
... See more
Thank you André for your reply.

I did reboot my PC but nothing changed.

And I am reinstalling my previous Trados version indeed, as I see no solution, especially as empty pages open when I click on the 2 SDL Assistance options (https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/mysupport.aspx).

That will be a good lesson for the future. I will never again buy a brandnew software version. I is a complete disaster, especially as I have several ongoing translations and my clients are waiting.
Collapse

Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forgot to mention the worst Dec 17, 2018

I can't even close Trados!! The closing cross in the upper right hand corner is gone, and if I right click on the Trados icon in the lower PC bar and click on "close application"... another error message appears, stating that the app cannot be closed...

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:46
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Task manager Dec 17, 2018

Elodie Bonnafous wrote:

I can't even close Trados!! The closing cross in the upper right hand corner is gone, and if I right click on the Trados icon in the lower PC bar and click on "close application"... another error message appears, stating that the app cannot be closed...

If something is blocking it from closing you can use the Windows Task Manager to close it.

Elif Baykara Narbay

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:46
German to Turkish
+ ...
Use Ctrl+Alt+Del key combination to access to the task manager. Dec 18, 2018

John Fossey wrote:

If something is blocking it from closing you can use the Windows Task Manager to close it.

There you can click on the program from the list and force stop.

Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So strange Dec 18, 2018

Thank you very much John and Elif!

Yesterday I turned the computer off without closing Trados, as I had no other option.
Now I reopened Trados to try to do what you are recommending... it opened normally and everything seems to be working again as if nothing had happened yesterday... I don't know what to think of it all, but for sure I will keep my older version installed too and ready for use.

And I will never again buy a brand new software version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suddenly impossible to translate a package file I am translating, nothing works anymore

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »